• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S arrives today, anything I need to know/do when I first boot up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

My NF7-S motherboard will get here this afternoon. Can I just install all my components, turn the computer on, and expect everything to work right? Or do I need to update/change/etc. anything first?... Bios update? Bios settings? Jumpers?

My system:

Antec SmartPower 350W psu
Abit NF7-S v2.0
Palomino 1600+, no overclock
GF3 ti 200, slight overclock
2 x 256MB Crucial DDR2100
Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB
Pioneer CDROM
Plextor CDRW
2 80mm case fans

Most importantly, I need to know about winxp and nvidia drivers. I assume I'll have to reinstall winxp, but then what drivers do I need to install and in which order do I install them?

Check your CPU temp in the bios. ;)

Also make sure your CPU is running at the right clock/bus speed

I agree with removing APIC...

Also, personnally I always remove ACPI (not the same thing). I hate having 4 devices on the same IRQ... :mad:

rugbyroy said:
what is the apic and acpi?

APIC will add a bunch of new IRQ, it's suppose to be for multiprocessor system but is now often found on normal system these days, go figure...

ACPI is a power management mode (sleep, reconfiguring the power button...) and allow IRQ sharing (not necessarily a good thing). If you don't use ACPI, you're going to be using the older one called APM. IRQ sharing is usally bad under APM but I personnally found it to be much more reliable. My MSI board can disable ACPI in the bios, but I haven't seen that option the Abit's bios so you would have to change it during setup.

APIC and ACPI have been known to create headache so I never use them (and I've never missed them either).

I hope they won't come up with an other system using the same letters. :rolleyes:

Also, note that some people are using both with no problems !

Back