• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Overclocking utility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is the overclocking utility that will ship with the new nForce boards. It is made by nvidia, and hopefully it will be much more effective than those crappy third party overcloking utilities.

Dude, Newegg.com is selling the Epox 8rda+ rev 1.1 w/the A1 northbridge. Thats the nb w/the C1 stepping which supports ultra 400 via bios upgrade. I just bought one. Haven't installed it yet. Can't guarantee you'll get that exact one but usually newegg has the latest stuff. Can't wait to overclock this baby. From what I read on this board and others, it should easily oc to 400+ as long as u got good hsf for cpu, nb, sb, and mosfets.

Who needs the stupid utility, we are all smart enough to change all that stuff in BIOS, and IMO that is the better/safer way to go. Especially with these flaky nForce2 chips. What if when Windows shuts down to save the settings, the BIOS chip doesn't like and and BOOM, you have to get another BIOS chip. That sucks. Thats just my 2 cents. :)

I gota agree with altec's basic line of thought. As with most things once you figure out how to overclock, utilities are more trouble than they are worth. Unless there are some built in protections that the pict doesn't show or some detailed directions a newbie could start twiking things and never figure out what went wrong.

Many companies are out there that want to take advantage of you when you've not had the needed time to reach a good level of understanding. Nvidia may or may not be one, thats for everyone to decide on their own, but I much rather have mobos and chipsets that run instead of having to RMA several boards in order to get one that isn't cr*p. Giving me a utility I'll never use tends to p*ss me off more than excite me. :cool:

well....i would have agreed with you 2 months ago. but a newbie freind of mine changed my mind about all utilities. He got into his bios and jacked the fsb, it left him with a system that wouldn't boot. I ended up having to walk him through the process of resetting the bios. As compared to powerstrip where if it blue screens the sets wont stay so you wont have a problem. with bios overclocks your pretty much stuck with the setts if they don't work and your forced to reset the bios.

My point was that unless the utility has limitis to prevent him/her doing the same thing, he will end up at exactly the same point.

Writing such protections/limits into the utility considering the various CPUs, memory, PSUs, etc. that any user may buy is mission impossible. Plus the utility isn't going to save the day either when the machine doesn't boot, he would still have to reset the cmos.

There will be no difference in the level of knowledge required to successfully change the bios or successfully use the utility. :eek:

The utility potentially changes the mind set of a newbie, "ahhhh this will make it easy." Bios changes on the other hand are often realized as "being danagerous," at least if they read even a little bit about overclocking (sounds like your friend didn't do his/her homework). That change in mind set and the possibility that someone will think that the utility is added value to their mobo that concerns me.

Anyway Nvidia isn't going to listen to either one of us and will do what they want to sell chipsets. Much along the lines of what Ed discussed in his front page article. About all we can do is discuss the issue so others may see the discussion and make up their own minds. Discussion and debate is good. :cool:

Last edited:
Gigabyte has been providing a tool like that for all their motherboards for years.

And as far as it's use goes - It's good in that it is far quicker to find your processors absolute limits. Especially when you can just set it it scale up and watch the MHz mount until your computer crashes.

Probably doesn't do much good for the chip, but good for a laugh.

I was a bit dissapointed to see the app didn't have the chipset voltage, or did I just miss it?
Also, all those analog dials for voltages seem to have a large lack of number to show what your actually setting, which could be annoying...

I would like this if I could change my settings in windows but they wouldn't go into effect untill I manually change them in bios...i.e. say you set the fsb to 200 it is stable so youi sit there run some apps it passes you keep bumoing till say 212 and then it crashes....but these settings aren't changed in bios...thety are automaticly set to whatever you had originally in your bios.....so then you can manually set them in bios and know that this is your ultimate limit without 1 gazillion reboots :D

Well, deJavu looking at it. Feel like I have a MSI board again with the fuzzy logic utility. Im sure if i had it, it would sit where the fuzzy logic utility sat.........on the installation disk :D

I used to use the utility that MSI supplied with the KT133 board I had and I could achieve a Higher FSB with that program than through the bios..

Back