• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decision time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepino Cantador

Registered
Ok, my crappy Soyo Dragon Lite P4 mobo finally crapped out...cheap piece o' crap. Anyway, now I'm deciding what I should buy.

I could either take my P4 2.4B 533 and get a decent Canterwood board, and upgrade to a 2.4c in the future, or I could just sell off the P4 2.4 and get some sort of AMD solution. Would getting an Athlon XP 1700+ (I hear those are good budget overclockers) and a decent motherboard yield me similar results to what I previously had? I was actually quite fine just running the 2.4 stock, so I don't really need anything faster ATM.

Or, what if I got a dual MB and 2 1700+'s? Anything specific I should look for, motherboard and cpu wise?

Just weighing the alternatives. I don't want to spend more than about $300 now, but in a few weeks I'm going to have some extra money, at which time I'm going to be buying new ram (love my mushkin basic DDR333 2.5 :\ ), and prolly a Radeon 9800 256mb, so I may also be able to upgrade processors in the future. Might also get a watercooling kit :p

Anyway, thanks!

Personally, the 1700+ should do you just fine IF you plan to oc. You can get yourself back at the 2.4 easily. If your cosidering a dual set up and your worried about a budget, simply put. DON'T DO IT! For starters the mother board itself is going to run you a good $190+ USD and then there's the 2 cpu's (or your could just run one but then again what's the point right?). Yeah yeah I know, the 1700+ only runs @ 1.47 stcok but, but here are a LOT of people here on this forum dying to spill out thier oc'ing experiences and info if you just post the question! Try the AMD forum.

the 1700+ gets to 2.4 pretty often. you might actually end up with higher total clockspeeds.

Back