• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KD7 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flexy

Registered
Alright so I've been trying to figure out this issue with my KD7. I got my 1700+ B yesterday and got in on the board and POSTed fine under stock speeds. Since I cna't lock agp and pci I have to use a ratio. So I'm feeling adventurous and bust the FSb to 166 with a 5:2:1 ratio. I'm thinking alright no biggie this should just go. Nope. No POST. So I'm thinking hmm...maybe my issue is the ram...but I'm kinda confused since I maually set the DRAM speed to 133. so I guess my question would be what's my next step? Grab some new ram or just say screw it and wait to buy a NF7-S in the next couple weeks? Much thanks.

Flexy

List down exactly how you set it in SOFT MENU III & ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES | DRAM CLOCK/DRIVE that caused the no boot. List down your complete system specs so we can better guide you. First guess is that you had CPU Command Decode to FAST when you went to 166MHz/333FSB, even by using the 5:2:1 ratio using FAST is a no go..... usually, second guess what that you didn't up the VCore enough.

It was a Vcore issue. I had it still on stock. Bumped it to 1.7 and got it POSTed and running XP with no problems yet at 11x166. I'll see how far I can push it. Thanks anyways...always appreciated.

Flexy

it should be fine at default voltage. To get mine to post at 166 i had to set cpu fast command decode to normal and it was fine after that. try doing that and going back to 1.5v.

Also your ram.

When you go to 5:2:1 the ram is synchronous with the fsb. It will ignore the dram-clock even if you set it 133.

So at 166 5:2:1 your ram is at 166.

Stock for this CPU is 1.6 Vcore. I left the ram at SPD so it's running 166 and I relaxed the timings a little bit. Rock solid right now at 12x170 for a 2Ghz clock. May push a little more but the PSU isn't the best...probably wait till I get NF7-S in a few weeks w/ a new Sparkle PSU.

Flexy

Back