• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

166fsb on a k7s5a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've heard of a few lucky souls a while back, but some people can't do it even with mods. The board is absolutely fine as a small overclocker, but not this big, lol.

my k7s5apro does 166/166. The cpu is a dut3c 1800+ which isn't too great - goes to 2.0g max at 1.8v and 40c on an sk7 w/ 34cfm fan. I boot to 133/133 and use setfsb to get to 166/166. Only mod to the board was to put as3 and superglue under the nb sink. That's too easy to call a mod though...

i'm using one of the cheepoman bioses. i'm runnign at a 150fsb. a 166fsb would be easdy for a capable processor. (If I coudl easily step up the voltage or change the multiplier., I would be running the 166fsb)

But the board can't usually take 166FSB, its the board that is limiting getting to that speed. CPU, bios or anything else wont stop the computer getting to 166FSB, its the board.

what agp/pci dividers does the SiS735 have on the K7S5A anyway? i can see why it isn't hitting 166fsb if it uses a 1/4 divider.

What about the K7S5A Pro? It has a setting for166 in the bios the K7S5A (non pro) does not. Is the Pro version able to run at a higher bus speed?

I believe the pro can.. My k7s5a wil do 150/150 stable as heck, I tried 160/160 and no post. I will try 166/133 after I get my geforce 4 in the mail. I stopped at 160 because i never knew about pci dividers.... maybe 166/166 after I get some ddr.

version 1.x of the board can't run a 166 fsb. 3.x and up can. and, the I could push more the 150, but I need more voltage, and I don't fell like doing a hard mod to do that.

Speed fan does tell the pci bus speed along with the fsb and ram bus. and with it and a cheepoman bios, you can change the setting in windows, and it stays.

i did the same thing. i stuck some heatsink compound and some supperglue and sanded down the heatsink and stuck it back on the northbridge. i was booting to windows at 133 fsb and using speed fan. i was able to get to 166 fsb. ran stable

ProGen said:
version 1.x of the board can't run a 166 fsb. 3.x and up can. and, the I could push more the 150, but I need more voltage, and I don't fell like doing a hard mod to do that.

Speed fan does tell the pci bus speed along with the fsb and ram bus. and with it and a cheepoman bios, you can change the setting in windows, and it stays.
dont be so sure - my 3.1x doesn't

dippy_skoodlez - nah. i havn't bothered to be honest - its been relegated to video/music machine so it doesnt get overclocked. My nf7-s is much more fun;) I was just wondering if anybody has managed it without any mods.

Lol.. ok.. Hmm.. I may try to UP the fsb soon.. gonna check temps under load first :) The tape replacement has helped a LOT! Before, The heatsink wouldnt even get very warm.. now its HOT! And Im out of P100 heatsinks LOL!

james.miller

Are you saying it has a 1/5 divider? I would love to lower the multiplier and run My 1700 on the 166 bus.

Best I've ever done on both of mine is 150 on my main rig, and 146 on the rig with the tbird... both of mine are 1.0's.

Wierd thing is my main rig is perfectly stable at 150 but 146 f@h won't complete WU's and IE crashes every now and then, but the system never crashes.

Hmm.. I ahve a 1.3 and it runs fine at 160//160.. havent tried 166/166 since I replaced the double sided tape on the chipset.....:eek: Maybe I will put tye cheapoman bios back on when I grab an nf-s mobo soon :bday: My system is so much stabler after I took the heatsink tape off though... I would reccomend it to everyone that owns a k7s5a.. it feels like a totally different comp speed wise! LOL! :eh?:

Back