• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have a corrupted Bios or dead Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrewMacarena

Wow, my first post. I feel so fresh and tingly all over. But anyways...

I have been using an Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 motherboard for about a month now with an AMD 1700+ DLT3C. For a while I had a great overclock going but then all of the sudden, it stopped working. When I press the power button, the green light will come on and everything starts up, but the computer will not post. I figured I must have corrupted the BIOS somehow so I ordered a replacement chip from excaliberPC (yes, I ordered the right one), but when I installed it, there was no change in the computers behavior. Is my motherboard dead or is there something else to try. Thanks for helping this forum virgin...
Drew

Welcome to the forum :)

Hopefully someone will be able to help you, but just a question:
Did you check your CPU ?

If the rescue CMOS didn't give you at least a post, then it's not the bios. Is the CMOS reset jumper in the non shorting position?

Try taking it all apart and make sure to use the plastic washers under the mounting screws?

Use the metal standoff studs only on the mobo holes the mobo manual says to?

Take your time and double checked each and every connector to make sure the polarity is correct and not plugged in backwards somehow or in the wrong header?

Make sure all the memory, cpu, cards are clean and well seated in their slots.

Basic stuff that can go bad later if not done 100% right.

Last edited:
I chacked the CPU in another motherboard and it worked fine so I know its not that. I have tried the ram from two different computers that I know work and that didn't help. I just finished trying the motherboard on cardboard, but as you may have guessed, that didn't help. Everything looks to be mounted right. Any other situations. Thanks
Drew

I am having the same problem with my at7-max2. lights turn on, but nothing comes up on the screen. (no beep obviously) i bought new ram, new video card, new psu....and it still wont work. i read on pauls faq (check the sticky) that no-beep means that either the mobo is dead, or that the memory/cpu it seated wrong/poorly. I reinserted my ram and my cpu 3 times....darn i hope nothing is wrong with my mobo....

I'm a new oc'er, but I had the same problem w/ my NF7-S rev2. I swapped CPU's, and that didn't help, so I knew it was either the mobo or the BIOS. I swapped the BIOS w/ the Excaliber survival kit one, and it works fine now.

Back