• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chill Northbridge with pelt...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norrko

Anyone tried to chill the Nforce2 Nortbridge with a peltier?
How much thermal dissipation is there on the Northbridge?
Is there any pros. in doing that?

Thanks!

/Norrko

Love the Avatar dude, and to answer your question I am sure you could use a small pelt with a GPU sized fan for heat dissapation , just a thought small pelts run about 20.00 and you probably some old fans lying around collecting dust

eBay has some good small pelt with fans for $15 or so I see them all the time when looking but as for helping your mobo out a good air cooled sink would most likely give you the same results

Thank you! ;)
I have 12 pcs of 40x40x3.8 mm pelts lying here and just waits to begin to work for me... I'm just looking for a good sized heatsink now. I'm in for the silent solution in this case...

Thanks again.

/Norrko

Stedeman said:
silent = water when you use pelts

I've tested the pelt with an old passive NB heatsink on the hot side and it didn't get to hot. It's rated 9.6V and I took the power from 5V rail so I think that if you just put a little bit larger HS on the hot side it would do just fine. I'm going to test it today or maybe tomorrow.. I'll keep you guys updated.

/Norrko

234mhz dc at 5,2,2,2 3dmark stable #4 alltime with a G4 card ') yeah I beleive it helps alot.. oh vdd under 1.8v

q.gif

OK.. now my system is ready to go... With a peltier on the Northbridge and a huge heatsink..

Here's the pics...

The original piece of which I'll do the heatsink for the pelt...

Pelt7.JPG

The heatsink is ready for the pelt together with thermal compound..

Pelt9.JPG

The screws have been tightened and off we go... Soon...

Pelt16.JPG

Ahh.. insulation is crucial... even if I'm not turning up the voltage..

Pelt14.JPG

The darn heatsink came a little bit to close to the evaporator of the Vapochill... guess who had to step back... Move Vapo, Move!

Pelt19.JPG

I'll hope it'll give you guys (and girls) some inspiration to what could be done with a little imagination...

Ahhh... The Northbridge temps seem to be around 19-20 C...

/Norrko

LittlePiggie said:
hows your speeds? I like it if you have good improvement ;)

I don't really know as I'm upgrading the system right now... One thing with the peltier setup is that I made it just for fun and tried if it could be done... I'll see later if there is any results to write home about...

/Norrko

four4875 said:
im thinkin bout peltin my P1, but i think i have it sold.. it'd be just for fun, of course.. hehehe

maybe when i get a new CPU i'll get hardcore on my asus... heh

Pelting a P1? lol those things will run fine with just passive cooling, but since this is the overclockers forum, go for it!

four4875 said:
how hot does the HS get? the NB?

The HS... Lukewarm (is that the right description of about ~37 C?)
The NB.... 19-20 C read in Motherboard monitor..

/Norrko

craigiz1 said:
If thing's are working...good. It looked like a lot of thermal grease on there. (jmo)

Yes, but I took my credit card and made a smooth layer of it later.. The picture is a before shot...

/Norrko

Norrko said:
Anyone liked the outfit? Comments, please...

/Norrko

DUDE... Very cool set up and creative on your part. Great to see people that are in constant search of new and cool ways to do things. Thats how we all learn what works and what don't! I just pelted my cpu and I may use your idea for the northbridge under the waterblock! hehehe we all must be crazy doin' this stuff to perfectly good hardward eh!!! NOT! lol

CYA
tweak

Back