• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel or Not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoJoMoJo

Just curious I recently did some sandra tests and to my surprise when I relocated my memory to disable dual channel I scored the exact same score to a T. ????????? Dont know what to conclude from this as I thought dual channel ddr would boost the performance somewhat. Anyone else have similar results or can expain this?

If you have both sticks of memory in slot 1&2 you are not running dual channel which you may have. Slot 1&3 or 2&3 will give you dual channel an some better mem scores over single channel. I have the NF7-S v1.2 an run mem in slot 1 closets to cpu an slot 3 closets to mobo edge. Performance for me is better with dc over sc.

Ya I am fully aware of how to enable dual channel. Delima was that enableing dual channel in my case doesnt improve overall score. I can achieve the same clock speed fsb wise with or without dual channel. At the same speed the memory benches are the same. The memory seems to be a bottleneck which confuses me because I was under the impression tha the benefit of the dual channel was at the motherboard level?

Umm, im a bit confused here...I have my memory in the 2 slots closest to the CPU, which ever slots they are... I notice there are 2 slots (the 2 closest to the CPU) and then there is a bit of space, and then the third slot...

Anyhow, is my memory in single or dual channel mode? I cant tell from sandra results and what you have said has confused me somewhat, so if someone could just verify that I have it in dual channel that would be kool.

Thanks

MetalStorm said:
Umm, im a bit confused here...I have my memory in the 2 slots closest to the CPU, which ever slots they are... I notice there are 2 slots (the 2 closest to the CPU) and then there is a bit of space, and then the third slot...

Anyhow, is my memory in single or dual channel mode? I cant tell from sandra results and what you have said has confused me somewhat, so if someone could just verify that I have it in dual channel that would be kool.

Thanks

The 2 slots closest to the CPU are dimm 1 and dimm 2, and on the same channel. The slot a bit further away is dimm 3, and on the other channel. SO if you have the sticks in dimm 1 and 2 you run single channel.

Not to mention the newest bios release verifies dual channel operation on post. But, besides everyone quoteing from ads I have personaly seen no benefit in memory bandwidth thus far when compareing dual channel and single channel operation. I do know that my max clock is with single channel and at using the increased the fsb from that I can achieve higher frame rates and bench scores in 3dmark. So I guess Dual Channel isnt for everyone huh?

Back