• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b overclocker needs help with MSI KT4V-L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PaRaNoiA

Registered
I'm not to good with overclocking but on my MSI KT4V-L with an Athlon XP 2000+, I can only achieve 140x12.5 no matter what setting the VCore is at.
I also can't change the multiplyer.

I bought the retail version of the Athlon XP 2000+ and am currently using it with the default heatsink and fan with Arctic Silver 3 Thermal compound.
My idle CPU temperature is 49 degrees and about 53 full load. Is my temperature stopping me from overclocking too far? Or is it the cpu chip that's not up to it?

I can get the FSB higher but not to a situation where my computer is stable enough to run things such as 3DMark.

Should I invest in a new heatsink and fan?
A new cpu chip?
Or both?

Please tell me your experiences as I used to own a KT3 Ultra 2 and recently upgraded for the use of 8x AGP and hopefully some increases in processor speeds. I was also only able to get 140x12.5 with my old board too.
I'm currently running it at 1753mhz, please post replies and thanks for reading!!

Get a new board, ive had nothing but problems with mine, memory problems (which havent been rectified) and CPU problems

BTW... get a new heatsink, 53 load is relatively high and i wouldnt suggest o/cing anymore

You can't change the multiplier unless you unlock the chip.

What ram are you running, that may be the bottle neck.

I'm running 512mb pc2700, and I got a new heatsink, full load is now 48 degrees.

One more thing, Is the AMD Athlon "Thoroughbred" XP 1700+ (Socket A) - OEM (CP-034-AM) good for an upgrade if I overclock it? Just had to ask incase I buy it and can't get it as high as my 2000+ speed now. :eek:

My machine details are a lot same as your expect the meme it's 2100 ones. WEll i think we've a prob with bad mobo it's giving high cpu heat icons, even though i can touch the heat sink. I also getting the same fsb and can't beyond that, well goood guys in here infrom me to do the L3 bridge operation. I will have to that too. Anyway my cpu cooler is poor but even if i get a good one i won't see a much diffrent in there. But in the gigabyte board that processor is seems ok around 40C but wiht MSI it boost to 56C always!!!
I want to move to a Gigabyte again even though those boards are pretty high price like doubl as the MSI crap. Good luck bro burn it to get the more juice!!!:D

Back