• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X Delux wont load OS...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToyzShopMike

Registered
HELP!!!:)
I have been trying to load an OS into this computer with no luck. what happens is if I try to boot from the CD rom to load XP it has the black screen and at the top says something like"checking systems hardware configuration" and goes nowhere just sits.
If trying to load ME with a boot disc it will go through checking the HD screen and indicate that there is no problem with the hard drive but when I enter OK, the black screen comes up and says that it's loading the files need for windows setup and just sits there too. Either way it apears that the CD rom's will not write to the HD with this MB I hve tried 3 different roms. I was able to format with the boot floppy with NO problem. I have disabled the RAID with the onboard jumper. and my RAM sticks are in 1and3 as said in the manual. Man everyone complained about the A7A266 but that board ran fine for me until I changed to this.

Last edited:
Make sure you are not overclocked while installing an os, and make sure boot virus protection is turned off in the bios.

Jim

Both are standard for me for a new setup plus I even underclocked it to 100 giving me a 1100mhz processor speed and tried that plus the other 12hrs worth of this and that!
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be smart or anything I've just tried every darn thing imaginable and NFG... Basically I always check in here now and then because many of you guys are pretty much test pilots and respect your posts to a point where maybe I may have either missed something by stupidity or there may be something particular with this board I simply need to know to make it work. Either way if anyone has any other suggestions keep'em coming 'cause all I want to do is take a hammer to this damn board, B4 Tues. when the store opens to return it, LOL. There is nothing worse than having to use the wifes PC which was basically mine because my so-called hotrod wont start.
Thanx
Mike
P.S. the only thing I have done was change the MB from an ASUS A7A266 and XP1900 to an ASUS A7N8X Delux and a XP2500 Barton and upped the power supply from a 350 Enermax to a 450 Enermax Whisper.
I am also using a Koolance tower so the cooling is swell as well....:D :D :D
Thanx
Mike

You might try to update the bios if you haven't already, and maybe reseat the ram and agp & pci cards. Could be some thing simple or hardware problem.

I was thinking about putting in the 1004 bios update but not too sure about doing it, the board came with the 1003 in it. By upgrading the bios, would it have any affect on the warranty?

ahhh voiding warranties by applying fixs for junk that was sent to the consumer.......Brilliant! What will they think of next!

LOL....
Well I just put in my old XP1900 and same BS so I figured I'll do the BIOS flash and it read the 1004, never disputed it to be the wrong one then asked if I wanted to save the old one I OK'd it and it saved the existing one on the floppy. However when trying to write the 1004 it would not do it, it froze as with the installs of the OS's and no write was done and the 1003 is still in it. So I guess out it comes and back to the store it goes and into the scrap pile.

It might sound stupid but, did you double check the jumpers settings on the back of your CD-Roms. Its a simple overlook.
Also have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Sink

I'm thinking it could be the board, but bios 1003 was junk for me - rebooted all the time, even with default settings. Bios update shouldn't void the warranty unless you kill it, try the new bios and see if it will help.

Jim

the board would't take the bios upgrade and the jumpers on the cd rom's and the HD's were checked and moved around to just about everywhere and I did try to clear the cmos as well.
mike

ToyzShopMike said:
...what happens is if I try to boot from the CD rom to load XP it has the black screen and at the top says something like"checking systems hardware configuration" and goes nowhere just sits.
If trying to load ME with a boot disc it will go through checking the HD screen and indicate that there is no problem with the hard drive...
I had this same exact problem and it turned out to be a bum cd-rom in my case. It was a 36x cd-rom but it would not load WinXP at all, it had no problems with WinME or below. I borrowed a cd-rom from someone and all my installs went along just fine with WinXP.

Hope this helps...

Well I spoke with ASUS and we went through everything I had tried and his response was the same as mine NFG... It's already back in the box and waiting for the store to open in the morning... Thanx for all the thoughts people, and I'll let you know how the new one goes when I get it hooked up.

Good luck with the replacement!

That sucks that the board would not take a BIOS flash, I know thats aggrevating. Should your problem persist with the new board, I would check the cd-rom first. Before spending cash or causing the hairline to receed a little more. ;)

Back