• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Abit KT7A & Athlon XP Palomino?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hughhefner

Playboy Wannabee
Hello,
I have 3 older Abit KT7A socket A motherboards laying around and I need to know whether anyone has gotten an AMD XP Palomino to work with these boards...Model doesn't really matter--I'm looking to send 1 or 2 of these oldies to young relatives but don't necessarily want to use the old THUNDERBIRD chips because they run soooooo HOT!!
XP1500-1600-1700 or 1800 Palomino .18 cores only please

The abit websites states only thunderbird cores up to 1400

It's been the subject of endless threads.
If they are Rev. 1.2 or earlier, there is no way to know for sure until you try. For some, no problem. For others, an occasional boot problem, just have to hit the reset. In some KT7A's they (Palominos) just won't boot at all.

The XP1600 I have in my machine right now will work in my KT7A, but only if I leave the bus at 133. Anything higher, no boot.

ok, I have a KT7A rev. 1.1 which works great with an Athlon XP 1600+. I have another spare 2100+, gonna try it soon.

Well Im going to try to use my KT7a v1.1 with 2200+ XP
Im not sure what kinda RAM you guys got but I have the lo density and hopefully that would work clean

tried but no luck no BOOT at all removed all PCI devices, HDs and CDroms nothing so I also removed Video Card & RAM and the system didn't even beep thats what Abit said some would boot some won't!
so I'm keeping my system with no upgrades. No overclocking in summer because my room is too warm! aaaaaah

Just in case, are you using the last BIOS? If not, I'd try that before giving up. And try hitting the reset switch when attempting to boot.

thx repo man11 I'll try that but is Palamino the 1st generation of XP chips or actually there is another one? I got the chip from my friend he doesn't know if it's palamino he just told me it's 2200+ AMD XP?
I know there is the Barton Core and thoroughbred I know what they are! but getting confused about Palamino! especially i've been cut off from Computer world for some time because of college heh now i'm trying to catch up lol
thx again for the reply
Cheers :)

My old System CodeGen 300W Ugly Case
Abit KT7a-Raid v1.1 1.2GHz 266FSB AMD
256MB Lo Density SDRAM
Dying Maxtor 15GB 5400RPM 9ns New WD 80GB 8MB 7200RPM 9ns
nVidia GeForce2MX400 64MB SDRAM TV-Out
Lite-On 12x10x32x GodKnows DVD 10x24x
IOMEGA Internal Zip100
Win2kPro, Win98SE

2nd Machine as server
Aopen Socket5 mobo overbridged to AMD k6 350MHz