• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

highest Chip for K7s5a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

I know that this has been posted before but since there is hardly any traffic here i dont feel guilty about not doing a search for my question.

What is the highest cpu a K7s5a will take? Any probs w/ Barton chips? Anything I should be aware of before I buy a new chip for my board?

Puer Aeternus said:
I know that this has been posted before but since there is hardly any traffic here i dont feel guilty about not doing a search for my question.

Hey don't feel guilty about that. The search function on this forum sucks big time anyway. Heck you cannot even search for 2 works at a time!

Anyway, about the processor. As dippy said the highest "offical" one is the 2400+. I think that is the last one mentioned in the bios updates. There have been some who run Bartons on the 5A board but the full features of the chip cannot be utilized. Some are able to run at 166 FSB by using software to go from 133 to 166 FSB. Also, there is doubt that the high L2 cache is utilized.
For the 5A board you cannot do much better for the money than a 1700 or 2100 TBred-B.:)

Back