• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

active cooling on 8RDA+ NB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
What size active chipset coolers does the 8RDA+ accept? I guess what I am asking is how far apart are those holes. I was looking at either the Iceberq4 or the Iceberq4 Pro, but I am unsure which one will fit properly as they have different hole positions.

The PRO and the regular one are different... the holes are at different distances. I think one is 80mm and the other is 62mm or something...

I Think the 8rda and 8rda+ have the same nb heatsink.... i have the 8rda and the holes are for 50mm

lol, wtf a cpu hs? hahahaha well, i would see about geting a nice hs, but not that huge (****) lol

Just gotten this Zalman ZM-NB32J heatsink with a Sunon 4cm fan:

030523145048-15395.jpg

030523145254-15395.jpg

Ok, I figured it out. Looks like it is the Iceberq4 REGULAR that fits on the NB. The distance between the holes on the Pro version is too great.

One thing that always worried me. If you stick some huge CPU HSF onto your northbridge using Arctic Epoxy, what's the chance of ripping out your NB?

It's just that since I always mount my motherboard in a tower case (ie, so it's sideways), dangling 500g worth of HSF from my northbridge doesn't seem like quite the brightest idea. Anyone done this and had it successful? Anyone done this and had the thing fall off?

I have 3 of the Zelmans On the way to mess with, Might use it for the NB (can't go above 210 with out issues) or I might cut them up for Ramsinks on my 9500np when it arrives.. I have lapped the heatsink that came with the board and threw on a Tt ram cooler 5000rpm and seems to work good.. For SB cooler I am testing a Voodoo5 gpu cooler as I was getting some cracks in my sound.. since I strapped the V5 cooler on the cracking is gone..

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gravy/mobo.jpg

I think the stock NB heatsink is pretty good if you add cooling and lap it. I did that and added a 50mm fan(just a dot of superglue on the middle of the heatsink to hold it) and put a NB heatsink from a 266a board on the SB using the holes and pushpins. After this i could easily get to 218 FSB with my normal 8rda, I havent tried higher yet but i probably will tomorrow. I plan on putting heatsinks on the mosfets too. 8rda.com and 8rdafaq.com have some stuff on cooling i think. The holes on the NB and SB are both 50mm on mine.

The way I see it, since you can get above 200 fsb with the stock passive heatsink, ANY active cooling would more than do the job (I am referring to the 8RDA3+, however, not the 8RDA+, I don't know what that board needs).

I think a crystal orb is a little better but louder than a normal copper iceberg. The heatsink is quite good though if you lap it and add a 50mm fan and as3 like i did..

i know the crystal orb pushes ALOT more cfm than the iceberg, like almos twice. i have on currently on my asus A7A266 NB and i can't really hear it. i'm primarily trying to figure out if the crystal orb will fit the NB of the 8rda+ properly.

haha yea i know what you mean. i turn my TT smart fan 2 up when i'm gaming and DAMN it's loud. anyway, i already got an extra crystal orb, i'll just stick that on the NB, and stick the modified NB heastink of the SB.

Back