• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 8rda.... crap OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

q149

I just got an 8rda rev 1.2. I can't even get it stable over 166 FSB and even then it wont pass Prime95 at all. Everything in it is the same that i had with my a7v8x and i could get the FSB up to 192 stable and the cpu up to 2.15 at stock voltage. i am using a 1700+, Ti4200, 1 128mb and 1 256 of Samsung 2700, no pci cards or anything else.. I reformatted and all that installed everything right. In dual ddr mode it really sucks but not in dual it still is not stable, even if i just use 1 stick of ram. It's not voltage cpu or temps causing this so i guess it must be a hardware incompatability. It's strange but i also tried using an 8k9a for a day and had the exact problem. Do i just need to get some different memory here or what?
thx

Well i have done some more testing and it is definately purely FSB. I can run stable at 12.5x145 but not even close to stable at 10x166. There is no way this board is that crappy is it? i would think it has to be a compatabilty issue with the ram?

Stock memory timings. The same ones i was using to get a 192 FSB on my a7v8x.

you running at sync or async though...if running at default...then you might want to run at expert mode...I personally thought the preset memory timings where crap on my 8RDA+'s...

Yes, i put it on expert and selected the timings because it seemed to select whatever it felt like on auto or by spd. I'm not sure what sync and async is but i am not runnning it in dual ddr mode, in dual ddr it wont even be stable with 133 FSB.

running other then 100% is running async...running at 100% is sync...sync is the best...

Try running at 5-2-2 at 2.63v's in expert mode...at 10x166...just to see if it will boot at those settings...I could run my kingston PC2700 value ram at 6-3-3-3 at 193 DC on my 8RDA+...but it took a while of a lot of memory tweakings to get it to run like that...the 8RDA+ is very touchy about the memory settings...especially with older ram...the presets tend to put the memory timings that older memory can not support...

it couldnt even do 6-3-3 at 166 with any multi. I have been running it sync too. The only thing that can make sence to me is memory/mobo incompatability or bad mobo because i could easily run this at 192 on my kt400 a7v8x. weird thing is when i tried an 8k9a it was abou exactly the same thing.... i guess i will order some new memory tonight, it has to be the memory i guess but it still dosent really make sence to me.

neither to me...I had some Samsung memory running in the first 8RDA+ I had and had no problem reaching 191 (memory max)...have you tried running memtest86 at default speeds...cpu and memory...just to see if the memory is having any issues...

Nope i havent. It is def either the memory or the motherboard. The only thing i have done to the mobo is add a 50mm fan on the NB and i know that didnt hurt. It is really strange though.. the other day i tried a 8k9a out to see if it could top my a7v8x... basically the same exact thing as with this 8rda.. this is just too weird.. it has to be the memory i think.

if you have anyway to test another brand...try that...also at least run 1 standard test on memtest86 just to narrow it down...

I will try memtest86, if that dosent pass at 180 i will order some corsair. I passed all of memtest86 at 192 with the same ram.

What are you using to power your rig? EPoX boards, until the recent 8RDA3+, tend to be brutal on the 5V line. If your PSU can't provide stable voltage on that line, it will exhibit itself as instability. I recently swapped out a CWT thing for a Fortron and my voltages, and my OC are much more stable.

Ok, this is totally wierd as hell... I tried everything, reformatting with APIC disabled, then i tried the 2.03 drivers..... all the time i could get to 148 fsb with 12.5 but not any higher with any multi. I manually selected everything and put it all on expert to make sure the ram timings were good.. 3-3-7-2.5. Well i hav been screwing around for 2 or 3 days now trying everything and i finally got it... it dosent make any sence at all though.
I have to put memory at 70% of FSB, in the bios this will say 70% of the FSB and on the booting screen it says the same.... but it is really at 100%.. if i choose 100% it shows what it really is at now at 70%
I just figured this out and right now i just passed prime95 easily at 180FSB when before it wouldnt get passed the 1st test at 150.
I did order 2 new sticks of ram btw.. oh well

you might want to try to reflash your BIOS...and don't use the windows BS flashing program...does more harm then good...use a 98se start up disk and put awardflash (newest version) and the .BIN file on a sperate floppy and flash it that way...see if that corrects the problem...

And what ram did you order?

Well, i fixed the problem i guess. It is 80% though, my bad. And i didnt make it clear but, at 100% the actual memory frequency was what it is supposed to be and what the bios and everything says, at 80% it says it is lower on the bios and boot screen, but it is the same as 100%.... but still, i can only get 148 no higher on 100% and right now im running stable at 11x184 at 80%.
Right now i am using the 2nd to the newest bios.. i was using the newest but switched to this to see if it would fix anything, same probs with both and APIC didnt seem to make a difference eathier(it's off now). I used the right method in dos with a floppy btw.
i ordered 2x256mb corsair 2700

still, it makes absolutely no sence at all.... i don't get it
at least i am happy with the board now, well maybe..

Man I feel your pain, I found out that this board can be picky with memory and it seems to differ from board to board. When I first got my board (has the C1 northbrigde by the way) I also purchased some Kingston Hyper X, 2 x 256 PC3500 modules. I tried everything imaginable and I couldnt for the life of me get the memory to run anything over 166 stable, my previous Samsung PC2700 would run 190 just fine in dual channel snyced. I tried the memory in a 8k3a+ and it was running 205mhz at turbo, since that was the highest the board would run stable, but the kingston ran like a champ in it. I returned the kingston, and spilled out the extra cash and bought two sticks of Corsair XMS Platinum 2 X 256meg modules and this board/memory has been AWSOME ever since. What confused me though, is that post after post no one had seemed to be having any issues with this board and the kingston, matter of fact people were having great results and thats why I bought it???

Ya, wierd. Could be something like my prob though. If i select 100% it will run at 100% but not stable after like 145 FSB. If i select 80% it will run at 100% still but it's stable... makes no sence, all it does is change what the bios and boot screen says but it actually runs in sync with the fsb both ways... wierd as hell.

Anyway i am now happily running stable at 214 FSB mem running at 428 in dual channel mode.... havent tried higher yet. This is with Corsair 2700 too.

Back