• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get my system to 200 fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nolo31

All of my spec's are included below. No clue why my pc won't go to 200fsb. I get to the screen right before the windows xp loading screen. There the monitor just conks out and I have to reset the CMOS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

got a heatsink on the southbridge? ;) Try adding a fan to the "castle" too. If you really want it that bad, there is always the VDD Mod, but dont ask me bout it ;)

umm...in my experience, when u cant get to 200 with stock stuff................well....that means 1 of 2 things, 1)) bad asus thermal cr@p on the northbridge, replace it with ArcticSilver, or 2)) It wont do 200 ^_^ (well - - - unless u do some mods)

possible...but also actively cooling the NB with better then stock cooling might also help...but if not, check and see what your VDD voltage is in MBM5 or the asus program if it has a VDD voltage reading...if it is below 1.60...99% of the time it usally takes a steady 1.6v or more to obtain 200FSB...but if it is below 1.60 then you will have to do a VDD mod to get above 200FSB...but once you have done the VDD mod, you should see 210+

On mbm5, i have a reading of 1.53v for core 0 and core 1. This is at stock voltage of 1.5v. for vcore. I replaced the stock heatsink on my NB with artic silver and a crystal orb. Going to try different things out now

Just curious, but how would something like the zalman northbridge cooler be better than, say, the crystal orb from thermaltake? I'm not insulting or anything, I just want to know. Something with a fan seems more likely to cool anything much better than something without a fan. Noise is something that I do not care about, since my speakers are usually turned on full blast. Within the next week, I'm thinking about upgrading to a slk-800u, and putting an 80mm vantec tornado fan on it. I may possibly just use the smart fan on top of my volcano 9, it seems like decent quality to me. This volcano 9 just isn't cutting it. With my vcore set at 1.575 (1.5 is stock) I have an idle temp of 37. This is at 11.5x multiplier and 180 fsb. I just think that is a little high. Don't even ask what load temps are. Waiting to hear a remark about the zalman vs. anything with a fan. Thanks a bunch.

By the way, where would I get a VDD mod, let alone find out where to change my VDD. Ive looked all over in the BIOS, can't find anything related to it.

Ok, I just read up on VDD mods. Not quite that daring hehe :) I'm waiting on getting my slk-800 and a cooler for the south bridge. I'll let you know my results after that.

Just installed the Uber 1004 bios. It has an option where you can alter your chipset voltage. I cranked it all the way up to 1.8, vcore to 1.7, ddr voltage to 2.8, and apg vddq voltage was left at default of 1.5. It will post at 10x200, but not boot into windows. It gets to the screen right before the windows xp load screen, then locks up. Any other suggestions at all? :D

i had the same problem until i installed an slk-800 and as3'd the northbridge. i was maxed out at 11x197. right after the new cooling i got 11x200 and after the as3 cured for a week i hit 11.5x200.

then i tried 10x205 and now the board won't post. uh oh.

Okay, lets start wiht the basics. When you boot, your post screen, does it say dual channel mode? Also what does it say as Memory timing or FSB?
If it is at say 133 fsb in dual channel mode then go into your bois and set your memory to 200. Then adjust your cpu to aggressive, memory to user defined. Set your timing to 5-2-2-2-2T. Then reboot. See what your post screen says now. If this does not correc the problem. Remove your paower cabel to the PS and also your internal battery. Let sit for about 2 minutes. THis will clear the CMOS. go back into your BIOs and reconfigure your boot sequence, date and time , etc, etc. The go back to your cpu area and set it accordingly.
I am not expert but I was a very frustrated person wiht ASUS and the amount of money I spent to create this system. Anyhow, let me know if you will.

Just cause my typing sucks do not mean I do ....

Back