• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7n8x memory problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trdsw20

I just flashed my BiOS to the new 1004. After that i had my little brother change the FSB stting for me and I think he also set the memory frequency up to something else. So after I tried to boot and nothing came up. I cleared the BIOS and removed the battery. I let it sit there for another 5 min and nothing. I tried to reseat the memory to slot 3 instaed but still nothing. I cant think of much else to do.

ANything??
I have PC3200 Corsair, XP 1700 and A7n8x dlx

Try unplugging the power cord and then reset the CMOS.. this way there is no power going to the board at all.. it might help dissipate the charges..

So you don't get anything when you boot it up . No beeps , no display ?
Sounds to me like the BIOS save and Exit Death !. LoL
No big deal! Do you have another BIOS chip that you can borrow for a few minutes ?
1. Boot your machine with another BIOS chip and a win98 Boot Disk, once it is booted up ,remove the good BIOS chip and replace it with your bad one , Flash your BIOS
-REBOOT-

Good to go , know this works as i have done it on 3 different boards this week .We had a bunch of these boards get returned to us for RMA and I have been going throught them all week.

Hope this helps you out !:cool:

Im having the same problem.

How am I supposed to remove the BIOS Chip while the power is on?

Also, does it have to be a Win98 CD? I dont have access to one of those easily.

I just used a pointy tip screwdriver and carefully pry up on the two access points. I know it sounds strange to remove the chip once it is powered up but it can be done , the board boots from the BIOS and then it is done with it unless you are flashing it .So once it is powered up remove the good chip , replace the Bad chip in it (while it is running) and then enter the awdflash utility and flash away .

So far i have done at least one of these Hot swap BIOS fixes every day this week.Think i will just flash all of the boards that are in stock with the 1004 and be done with it ....lol

Oh sorry , no it doesn't have to be a Win98 cd just use a boot disk of some sort. Good Luck!

Don't forget to use the Switches when flashing as well

Awdflash (BIOS FILE NAME ).bin /py/sn/cd/cc/cp/ld/e

This will totally clear the CMOS chip before loading the new BIOS file on it and it will also load the bios and and drop to the command promt after it is done.Then just reboot the machine and you should be good to go and you can then return the borrowed BIOS chip back to the original board

And this works with any kinds of BIOS Chip so long as its a PLCC?

The other Mobo I have easy access to is the Gigabyte's GA-7VAX rev 1.2, , BIOS v9.

Could I just grab one of its BIOS chips? or does the bios chip have to come from a Mobo in the Asus A7 family?

turns out the chip got fried. dont know how. I didnt have any DDR sitting around so I had to borrow some. through it in and it works. That sucks

Chrome_Coyote said:
And this works with any kinds of BIOS Chip so long as its a PLCC?

The other Mobo I have easy access to is the Gigabyte's GA-7VAX rev 1.2, , BIOS v9.

Could I just grab one of its BIOS chips? or does the bios chip have to come from a Mobo in the Asus A7 family?

As far as i know it doesn't matter what kind of board the chip comes from as long as it is the same chip . I believe that the A7V333 has the same chip .It has to be a 4 meg ROM chip if it is from a Deluxe board and a 2 meg chip if it is from a non deluxe board

No the gigabyte board won't do , the gigabyte doesn't have removable chips in it ,sorry

Just my lil bit of input. Why not just reset the CMOs using the jumper? Or as I do, remove the battery and power and let sit for about 2 minuites. It reset the bios back to defualt . I also have booted to safe mode and then reflashed the bios back to say 1002. That worked also. I have not had the problem you are describing though, so I may be off base. I am running my system pretty much spec and it appers to be cool. I did though change the DDR settings to 200 dual mode. I do not see a setting where I can run it at 217 though :}

When Nvidia issued the specs for the Nforce2 chipset there was a jumper to reset the Bios , (aside from the clear cmos jumper) And Asus didn't follow the spec and include this jumper on there boards and what has resulted is the infamous Save and Exit Death that these boards are experiencing.
What happens is you go into your BIOS and set a FSB that is too high and when you hit save and exit it looses the bios info and doesn't post anymore and in that case there is only three solutions that i know of

1. RMA your board to the manufacturer
2. BIOS hot Swap and Flash (if you have access to another BIOS Chip )
3.Use a BIOS Saviour

I am doing some work at one of the local shops and i have been doing these hot swaps all week on these ASUS A7N8X boards that have been returned dead.So far they have all come back to life in a few minutes and been good to go .

:D

4. unplug the power supply, take out the cmos battery, and let it sit for a couple minutes. plug everything back in and voila! reset bios.

THANK YOU SKYDIVER39 FOR SAVING ME FROM rma HELL!

Back