• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which to update first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stiletto

Will be putting in a new nf7-s soon and will be reformatting for a fresh start.

While installing the drivers, is it better to install the mobo drivers or the bios update first? I will install these two before anything else, but of the two, which first? Or does it matter?

BIOS update should come first then OS install then MoBo drivers. The BIOS, Basic Input Output System, is the base for everything then ofcourse you can't install the drivers without the OS;) The OS will react differently to whatever BIOS you have so if you want to really start out fresh it's always the BIOS 1st.

The question you have to ask yourself is if the current BIOS is not as good as the update.

In order:

1. BIOS Update (if needed/wanted) (warning...do not have the MB or CPU OCed when flashing the BIOS on any NF2 board)
2. OS install
3. SP1 or SP3 (depends on which OS)
4. NF2 Drivers
5. VC drivers
6. Any other misc. drivers.

Make sure to reboot after each install...

Glock19, you are right about that sequence instalation, and I have a experience to share too. When I updated nForce drivers from 2.03 to 2.41, nVidia ATA drivers got my windows so messed up to the point I could not even restore nor do a repair instalation, only reinstaling and deleting windows folder I could get my xp running again. Both 2.41 and 2.42, wich was recaled today, are truly messed up.
Stay with 2.03 for awaile and wait to the real good drivers. :eek:
And about updating bios, you could and up with sound and ethernet realy messed up after updating, so beware! Make backups and be ready to restore, reinstal or reformat your hd! :mad:

After I reinstalled the OS, I just stayed with the drivers on the CD and have a lot less glitches. When the dust settles at nVidia, maybe I'll update.

I did the beta 14 bios for Abit nf7-s v2.0 and fixes the false high cpu temps and made everything more stable overall.

Ok flash first, and then install in that order. Looks good on just sticking with the cd mobo driver also with all the racket over the new ones.

Some small questions:

I have XP, do I want sp1 or 3?

Directx9, after all the other drivers?

Reboot after each install? I also heard defrag after each install from a sticky here. One method better? Both better?

Back