• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frigen my pc....need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

...alrighty my plan is to put my mobo in my refridgerator....and after it is in I plan to put 2-as many boxes as needed of baking soda to attain lower condensation...with just 2 I noticed a definate difference..but I don't wanna risk it so I am going to try around 4......I am hoping to attain temps of 0 celcius and below :D.....anyone have any advice :).....maybe some other form of reducing condensation etc....thanks a ton...and wish me luck :D

OR dump all the baking soda over your mobo :)

I dont think that thing will lst very long man.. even thought he baking soda may prevent a bit of condensation eventually its going to get to it... and blamo some condensation just shorted out your mobo :( :(

do you guys no what baking soda will do? It takes away moister thats in the air. No moister = no condensation.

treepop Ive never seen this done so i donno if it will work or not.
Good luck, maybe someone else will knows if it has been done or not.

Yes i do.

But it doseent take away ALL The moisture in the air.. it takes away *A PORTION* of the moisture...

There will still be more moisture and it will condense but that would help a bit..

persnally i hopefully will be insulating my pipes and my mobo when i go chilled watercooling but for added security i will be adding a anti moisture product.

If we coul djust go with a box of baking soda instead of insulating then no one would be insulating thier motehrboards just rather putting in a box and taking it out every now and then

you guys realise what causes condensation? when something is colder than the air around it. and when all of the components on the board are makin heat, they get WARMER than the air around it, so there will be no condensation issues. and if he dont open the fridge, it wont let any more moisture in,so its not like it will need the moisture continually taken out, it'll just be like a one time pop every time the fridge is opened.

interesting..xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx ..where would I go to get some insulating or stuff that stops condensation on my board......also thanks to the fellas that gave me props.:D.....also just ta let ya know I am gunna run an experient on a cheaper setup to verify if it is going to work or not :D..not just gunna stick $1000 worth of supplies into this experiement...thanks again all of yall for the advice and props :D

dude... insulating the board will be unnecesary. let a piece of metal sit in the sun for a few hours, and get nice and toasty warm. then set it in the fridge, and see how much condensation is on it. that'll proove that the insulation is completely unnecessary.

four4875
that seems like a really great idea I will try that before I try my test setup :D

Four the thing is..

There are several METAL parts in the computer obviously.

Metal conducts heat better than silicon.

The plastic will be WARMER and will be AROUND the metal...condensation will form just a tiny bit... jsut enough to make one electrical connection... and there goes your mobo.

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

...can you gimmie some advice...like where to buy this stuff that insulates the mobo etc....?

Hey goys, hate to break it to you, but condensation only forms when something is colder than ambient temp. That's why you get condensation on your cold soda in the summer, but not your hot coffee in the winter.

dude I think it will work just fine, as long as the mobo doesnt get colder then the air inside the fridge wich will only happen when you open up the fridge to a warmer air outside then you will be just fine.

So just make sure you have everything hooked up externaly so you dont need to open up the door. Also make sure you have the hard drives outside of the fridge sense they dont like the cold.

Im just not sure if the fridge will be able to keep up with the heat load. If you can cut the plastic away so that the evaporator coils are showing then it would work better. Also stick a fan on the condenser so they have active cooling.

erg all of these conflicting opinions....so the only way to settle this is for me to get me a dummy board and cpu......:D...I will post resaults once I am done with this experiement :D

stick a light bulb in the fridge and i can assure you there is going to be no condensation on it. Try it with a dummy board if you want, also baking soda cant hurt anything. If you can get a propane heater sticking at the fridge then you can make sure there is very little water already in it before you stick the mobo inside. There is also clay type of stuff that soaks up liquid really well that you can buy.

four4875 said:
i'd be up for that bet.

all Right

As long as you agree not to influence him not to post if it dies or anything i will do same and i am in. Paypal alright if you win?

and by not functional i mean not booting up in the fridge.. doesent mean if it shorts out in fridge and he gets it cleaned off and it works that u win...

tell me if your still in.

Anyone else wanna get in?

Back