• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noticed the NF7-S has the 12 volt plug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

From the pics I have seen of the NF7-S it looks like it has a 12v plug on it, the type for the P4 CPU's. Do we AMD people have to use this also with this mobo?

you don't have to but it helps the +5 rail with stablility...especially when OCing pretty heavy...its a good thing to use it, but not required...

It doesn't help the 5V rail, it helps the 12V rail 'cause it is an auxiliary 12V line. This was added by Abit on their newer boards because the CPUs VCore is now drawn from the 12V rail instead of the 5V rail like in older boards.

Sonny said:
It doesn't help the 5V rail, it helps the 12V rail 'cause it is an auxiliary 12V line. This was added by Abit on their newer boards because the CPUs VCore is now drawn from the 12V rail instead of the 5V rail like in older boards.

Man I've been wondering since I got my board (a week ago) what was up with the 12V (I always called it a "P4") connector...

And just this morning I checked my 12V rail in MBM5, and it's hovering at 11.5V! That can't be good, especially on a PCPC PSU!

Might plug that thing in later and see if it helps.

If its that low maybe not, I have a KD7 - RAID & with it unplugged I get 11.95V plugged I get 12.10V. I hope it can bring it up higher than expected though.

I am with Sonny on this one...with it being that low...plugging it in will, odds are, have no effect...most of the times when the 12 is that low, that is because of the PSU not being able to handle the load...so don't be too suprised if it doesn't help that much...and if it doesn't a new PSU will solve the problem...and I personally would not be running at 11.5 for long...undervolting can hurt certain hardware almost as bad as over volting

Well great :( My PSU is a PC Power and Cooling 400 Watt... do you guys think I really need more juice? I only have one hard drive... 2 optical drives, 4 80mm case fans (all low-flow), one 120mm fan (also low-flow), 2 UV cathodes (don't think they draw much).

Granted I do think my cpu is pulling something like 110 Watts...

Man I thought this psu was gonna last me... do you guys really think I need to upgrade?

Oh and sorry for the thread hijack, almost done :D

grunjee said:
Well great :( My PSU is a PC Power and Cooling 400 Watt... do you guys think I really need more juice? I only have one hard drive... 2 optical drives, 4 80mm case fans (all low-flow), one 120mm fan (also low-flow), 2 UV cathodes (don't think they draw much).

Granted I do think my cpu is pulling something like 110 Watts...

Man I thought this psu was gonna last me... do you guys really think I need to upgrade?

Oh and sorry for the thread hijack, almost done :D

I personally would test the +12 with a meter before emailing them...it could just be the software program you are using that is reading lower then what it actually is...at 11.5v's you should be having some stability issues even at default settings...

Would you guys mind telling me the easiest (safest) way to measure my 12V rail?

I have had no stability issues in the week I've had this board. I have run Prime95 about half of this chip's life (got it the same day as the board), and Folding the other half, 24/7 with only a few crashes, all related to software. So either MBM5 is off, or I'm doing fine at 11.49 on the 12V rail.... :rolleyes:

Back