• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ebay? to bid or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent Z

IS ebay a place to get computer stuff...i am looking to but a radeon 9700 pro and i am not sure that ebay is the place to buy or not....

if they have lots of positive ratings and very very very few negatives id say it would be a pretty reliable purchase.. however you really wont find many deals on newer products

eBay is good for certain components, but for anything newer or cutting-edge, you are better off getting things elsewhere. The prices on the newest stuff is almost always higher at eBay. Seems to take sellers a while to catch up to reality.

Actually I think it would be better said that consumers take a while to catch up w/ reality. After all the final price is determined by the bidders, unless its buy-it-now. I sell lots of my old stuff on there, hardly ever buy stuff though. Unless ita an old, hard to find part.

eBay is good for some stuff, but not all. Sometimes buyers bid up to a price that you could find at any store, but shipping at eBay is usually A LOT higher than a store. So including that, eBay could be more expensive.

If you're familiar with the product you're buying, know you're getting a good price (including shipping costs), and you're buying from a reputable ebay'er, then I'd say you could end up with a good deal. However, with prices continually dropping on computer components, for the most part it'd be best to buy from a reputable on-line retailer, easier, safer, faster... and there are a few out there other than NewEgg.

Last edited:
Things not to buy on eBay:

* Items you are likely to return
* Most clothing items
* Complex items that may have hidden limitations or flaws
* Items you aren't familiar with (shop around!)
* Items priced similarly to a local retailer
* Large bulky items (expensive shipping)
* Items sold by sellers with low or poor feedback ratings
* Any item with more than 10 exclamation points in the description
(and for us)
* Items that work well at spec settings, but no longer work at high performance levels (e.g. CPUs that work at stock speeds, but no longer work at OC speeds)

Anyway, my shallow thoughts on the subject.

I've actually bought several articles of clothing on Ebay... typically dealer overstock and such. Always new with price tag... but then, this is a computer discussion, no? =p

I've seen several amazing deals... you can search completed auctions and see some incredibly sweet purchases. I saw a brand new Lian-Li pc71 case go for around $100. Both parties left positive feedback for each other, so I assume the transaction was smooth.

Don't buy anything from a seller with less than 20 positive feedbacks.. and they should probably be all positive items that he SOLD, not 20 bought baseball cards.

Back