• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended flow layout?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Derodeo

Registered
Because the Swiftech docs included with my H2O kit are contradictory, which of the following water flow layouts would you recommend: (I have two small rads which will be run in parallel)

A) Fill & Bleed -> Pump -> CPU block -> GPU Block -> Y connector -> Radiators(2) -> Y connector -> Fill & Bleed

B) Fill & Bleed -> Pump -> GPU Block -> Y connector -> Radiators(2) -> Y connector -> CPU block -> Fill & Bleed

C) Something else?

With B won't the presure at the cpu block be sugnifitly (sp) less? I think it might depend on the wb used, One that I'm thinking of using would work better with more flow but others I'm sure would work better with lower temp.

I'd think
rad-res-pump-cpu-gpu-back to rad...

If you are running the rads in parallel why bother with the 2 y-connections that will kill your flow rate? Couldnt you just put a short tube from the output of the first rad to the input of the 2nd rad? Even if the rads arent close together a length of tubing between the first and 2nd rad will not hurt flow rate as much as the 2 y connections would.

Flow in the system will be constant in either case, but temps of the water won't. So you should go with whatever gets the coolest water (right after the Radiators) to the source needing the most cooling (The CPU).

So your best choice should be B) unless by switching the direction of the flow you somehow make the pump generate no heat and the Radiator cool the water to sub amient temps (See: Impossible)

Animal982 said:
If you are running the rads in parallel why bother with the 2 y-connections that will kill your flow rate? Couldnt you just put a short tube from the output of the first rad to the input of the 2nd rad? Even if the rads arent close together a length of tubing between the first and 2nd rad will not hurt flow rate as much as the 2 y connections would.

What you are describing is running the rads in series - something that is more restrictive to water flow, not less. See http://www.wc101.com/articles/vs/ for details.

ya i really dont think the flow would be to omuch different but im not sure since gulp went that way im gonna second him as i dont think (in theory just thinking about it in my head) it would change much if at all, as for parrallel and series parrallel should be better so i am not sure what you are saying Animal...

I'm not an expert but it seems to me sending hot water to the GPU doesn't make since. I would use the y connectors to put the CPU and GPU blocks in parallel. If the GPU is less demanding put the GPU on 3/8 tubing and the CPU on 1/2 tubing. ...Rich

richyoung said:
I'm not an expert but it seems to me sending hot water to the GPU doesn't make since. I would use the y connectors to put the CPU and GPU blocks in parallel. If the GPU is less demanding put the GPU on 3/8 tubing and the CPU on 1/2 tubing. ...Rich

well that depends on how hot the water is... also your GPU temp isnt AS important and the water doesnt get super super hot, but putting them in parralel would be ok if they both have the same (or will, together, yeild the correct) restriction so that one block does not get more or less water through it than it should... i would keep it in one of the ways you explained it unelss you wanna test it the other way and see if your temps on either do drop:D

Well I ended up installing it as in (B). Got a little confused with which was the inlet and which the outlet on the Swiftech CPU block - removing the hose from those Quick Connect fittings is NOT fun. I'm just in the leak testing phase right now so I can't tell how the cooling is but with the two radiators it should be fine. Thanks for your advice.

Back