• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

direct water/die contact block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ws6fire

Registered
has anyone tryed this type of block before? any comments?
WB1976.jpg

it's a 45 or 90 deg fitting with one side cut off then a small plate soldered to the bottom with a hold in the middle just big enough for the die to poke into the block. Mounted directly to the chip with some sort of epoxy (never getting that sucker off though)

i'm thinkng of trying it, somehow...

I've only built it in my mind a few times, both direct die and not.
Shouldn't perform too badly, as it's got great flow and the way the water skins across the die should ensure good water contact.
But again, it's only in my mind, I'm lazy sometimes. :D

There are probably more efficient designs... But that one is really easy to make and that counts for something...

I think I might try it along... What you could do is to take a T-coupling instead and get a good flow right over the core... and tvo outlets... Like the WW without a bottom... :)

I've heard there are problems with water infiltrating the core and eventually killing the CPU.....

NO!!! Hmm... where? maybe I can prevent that.

If I have direct contact then maybe I could use baby oil?

Last edited:
people have done direct die with good results. i get sufficient performance from my maze-2 not to want to risk my mobo or anything else. the chip i can't care to much about, only a 1600xp, although i suppose if i wanted to find another agoia i'd prolly have a hard time of it. If i WAS going to direct die, i'd want to use an acrylic cube, mortice out a rectangle for the die, keeping it tight on the sides but not quite touching. drill the inlet from the top down until it was like 1mm maybe less away from reaching the opening for the die, then cut a little jet into it, to get water velocity aimed directly at the die, then do maybe 2 outlets from the sides or something...

like diggrr i've built it more than once in my mind, but gone no further. i like your idea though. could be a good performer.

good luck
J.

I think i might try direct die with an old 1600+ i have..

Im thinking just a plastic piece of pipe with some barbs on the sides(plastic barbs) and cutting an entire side off bout the size of the core so its basicall ya complete tube but nothing there over the die...

Then using epoxy to epoxy it down... it would be epoxied to the entire length of the chip and such... my idea is basically exact same as yours but insted of being a curve its just a straight pipe.

sounds really intersting though
i might concider this if i buy somones amd system dirt cheap
etc

About letting the water on the full face if the chip, there are other things on the face of the chip that might not like water very well. The top of the die from what I know (correct me if I wrong on any of this) is some sort of metal and there are (at least on my amd 2100+) some other things that kinda look like resistors mounted to the top of the chip. You wouldn't want water on those unless your sure it won't cunduct any electricty at all. You might be able to coat them so they don't get wet, ever.
Good luck on that and tell me how it goes befor I try it with my chip. Oh, the drawing is just a very crude first design. It was mainly to talk about theiory and prinipals. (damn I need a spellchecker on the posting screen :rolleyes: )

direct die is soo great as an idea, but in real life it doesnt really work. I have tried it, I lost my awesome agoia Y 1600+ to it.

processors arent rated for direct water contact, much less can be exposed to water for a period of time, Mine lasted a little over a week and horrible temps. With a good jet aray, better temps can be acheived, but overall, you could buy a WW and have better temps and cheaper:D

as for the angle block.....
microangle.jpg

Cool looking little block...
I keep seeing people say get the ww or ww this ww that and I had no clue what it was, then I found it was a Dtek White Water Rapids (Designed by someone here I think) I haven't figured out though if it's out yet, but it does look perfect theries put to practice.

Hmm.. one for cpu then one for gpu? Mmmm forbiden donut...

btw, if any are wondering, thats a block I made a while back, the top is now anodized and made a hold down.

that cpu that its sitting on is my dead 1600+ that thing did 2ghz in its day.

Jon

JFettig said:
direct die is soo great as an idea, but in real life it doesnt really work. I have tried it, I lost my awesome agoia Y 1600+ to it.

processors arent rated for direct water contact, much less can be exposed to water for a period of time, Mine lasted a little over a week and horrible temps. With a good jet aray, better temps can be acheived, but overall, you could buy a WW and have better temps and cheaper:D

The newer CPUs can take water for a really long time if you seal the bridges and other open electronics on the surface...

As for the performance; They who DD says its better and they who dosen't DD says its no use... DD is not tested enough to tell if its better or not...

Back