• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did i just get ripped off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikesta

Registered
I was looking for an '86 Chevette heater core and found one at Checkers Auto. When I went to pay for it the total was about $45. I live in Hawaii so I assumed it was shipping and crap. Later, I went to the Autozone website and saw a heater core for $16 ($6.45 for USPS shipping, $20 for 2-3 day shipping). Did i just get jipped?

Was it a heavy duty core or somthing? I can see it being a little more dough if it was 50% thicker or something.
If it's a standard looking core get a refund fast! I'd buy an ebay core before that one.

peace out.

OUCH,
that hurts. I would check your local Automotive stores if you have any over there, and usually if they do not have it in stock they can get one within a day or two. I would defenitly try to take that one back.

Sure did man :\
Don't fret. The guys buying their heatercores from an <ahem> un named source get ripped too ;)

That is retail for any heatercore though.

Toysrme said:
Sure did man :\
Don't fret. The guys buying their heatercores from an <ahem> un named source get ripped too ;)

That is retail for any heatercore though.

It's only fair to add that DYI is often quoted as being the cheap way of doing things, while the possession of tools is silently assumed.

When I modified my case I had to invest quite a few bucks for miscellaneous parts and tools that I did not have (not being a 100 years old and having spent my whole life as a handyman).

The same will apply for a heatercore. For example, I do now have a handsaw, but I don't have a soldering iron... not even solder or a cap if you want to relocate a barb.

Of course, eventually one will have gathered (most of) the tools one needs, and then they will pay off after multiple jobs. But until that time, DYI is not always the defacto cheap way of doing it.

^
^
^

Very good post. Buying a heatercore from an autoparts store isn't always the cheapest way of doing it. Especially if you have zero experience with this kinda stuff.

Blah blah blah, DYI cheap, no way. Learn how to do things the right way, plan and take your time.

On another note, any idiot can get a 1/2 in line over a 5/8ths barb. If you can handle a soldering iron/JB Weld it's called, "shop for the heatercore with 1/2-5/8 barbs". DUH!!!

LoL!

Not only that, but nearly EVERY autoparts store will have loner tools you can use in the sotre, outside or take home.

ALL Autozone stores do. There is no excuse for not having access to tools. It may be inconveniant., but where there's a will, there's a way, and Autozone my friends is that way.

Can I get an Amen!?

FWIW, here's a site you might check out if yo're buying on-line:
LeakyCar.com/ They have hundreds of cores to choose from.
go an 83 Mustang core there for $23 shipped; and it was on my
doorstep in about 3-4 days.

Back