• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frustration!! Chipset waterblocks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AndrewW

I am soooo mad right now but I will cool off to make this post...

Ok, lets start with the setup:
YY 221 Mini Cube Case
MSI K7D Master L MB
Dual 2000+ MP CPUs
Gainward G4 Ti4600
2 Gemini Cool Rev. 2 CPU waterblocks
Gemini Cool GF4 GPU waterblock
Gemini Cool Chipset waterblock
2 Black Ice Micro radiators
BayRes reservoir
ViaAqua 1300 pump

The design:
pump->man->waterblocks->man->man->rads->man->res->pump

Everything is running in parallel wherever possible.
3/8 inch pipe is used between the manifolds and waterblocks, and the manifolds and radiators. 1/2 inch pipe was to be used for all other connections

I have spent the last few months getting all of the parts and pieces to build this new system and I was in the process of taking this nice long weekend to put it altogether but I have basically had my weekend ruined by a major problem and was wondering if anybody here had a solution.

The problem. The @#$% chipset waterblock's connectors don't line up with the motherboard mounting holes!!!

And finally the question... Does anybody know of a chipset water block that:
a) has connectors that will line up with the MSI motherboard's holes.
b) uses 3/8 inch hose connectors.
c) has an approximate throughput of 1 gal/min???

The reason for the last item is that with parallel designs you need throughputs to be as equal as possible and all the waterblocks in the system are about 1 gal/min.

Can anybody help???
TIA
Andrew :mad:

PS I have already thought about just ignoring the connectors and just using some thermal epoxy to stick the sucker down!

Last edited:
By how far do they not line up? Did you try roatating the block to take advantage of the slots?
I'd simply 'adjust' the holes a tad bit larger using a drill and change to using bolts/washers/nuts.
I had to do that to make my northbridge block fit, as Abit was off by a mm or two.
Use plastic washers on the underside of the motherboard.

In the 'correct' position the holes are at least 1cm from the posts. With twisting the waterblock to make things line up more they are still too far off. There are some small circuit lines right next to the holes and I wouldn't like to take the chance of messing them up.

But thanks for trying to help.

Andrew

I didn't mean to drill the holes on the motherboard larger, I meant to drill the holes on the waterblock larger. It's just a thin flange, right?

You could also measure yours, and contact www.geminicool.com . I've heard they are great people, and will work with you to make things right, though it may take longer than you'd like. Worth a shot.
There's a contact link on their website.

Just be polite, and explaine the situation. You could also tell 'em which mobo you have, so they can note the changes.

And, Welcome to the Forums!

Could you bend the mounting rods? Make a little zig in each one between the block and the mobo. Might take a little time to get just right and not mess up the threads but it might work. I had to improvise on my nb mount also but I have the loops on my mobo instead of holes.

I agree with diggrr. Contact geminicool, there pretty cool guys. I'm sure they would have a solution and it would be great of you to give them the heads up on that MOBO so they could make the nessesary adjustments on the block for future buyers.

Diggrr: Sorry, sometimes my brain just doesn't fire right... Of course you meant the flange. The flange is the lexan cover and it is just under 1/4 inch thick. I did look to see if I could just enlarge the holes. It seems that I couldn't enlarge them enough without breaking through the side of at least one of them. The flange is made for tight areas and not modification.

Romebaby: Since the mounting rods are plastic I thought that I would try your idea but the pulling between the two rods really moved the waterblock off kilter with the chip.

All: I will be getting in touch with Gemini Cool to see about buying a replacement. (Custom job, if needed). For now I just said f#c%-it and used some arctic silver thermal adhesive. I don't want the weekend to be a waste.

Thanks for the different solutions to try. I will post back on my dealings with Gemini Cool.

Andrew

why not cut a little sheet of 1/8" aluminum or some strong material into a hold down for it? wouldnt be too hard and it would hold it on while you talk to geminicool :)

Back