• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

condensation idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

four4875

to prevent condensation, why not paint the board? since the paint dont conduct electricity, and it would keep the water off, it seems like it'd be a perfect solution. any arguments? im gonna try this if i get my P1 board back, paint it then spray water on it wit a hairspray type bottle, and see what happens.

You should do a little research on this and then find out what would work best, I would love to see some stuff like this as a way to prevent condensation.

Yeah like acrilic clear coat or suttin would make stopping condensation so much more easy, any one got the guts to try it?

But then you would need to paint all your cards too. But what about the pci and agp ports, when the condense drips down it will get into the ports eventually, there you can't paint as you will need the connection between the card and motherboard. So if the water gets in there, youre hardware is finished.
That is what I think anyway, I do not think it will work.
And you will also have alot of water in the bottom of your case, my hoses outside the case is making some good pools on the floor when they are not insulated (water @ -10C).

Try searching for Conformal Coating, clear spray sealant meant for PCB's, acrylic or silicone based, also most have a UV indicator which glows blue under blacklight.
gs4.jpg

gs5.jpg

peace.
unloaded

on the cards, just load 'em up with dielectric grease. if i end up not sellin my P1, i'll be sure to try it. im gonna torture that board... HEEHEEHEE. i already planned on painting it, and throwin some water on it wont be too hard... lol

Liquid electrical tape, can be bought at any hardware store and can be pulled off once your done. Its alittle hard to get out from under the socket though.

why not put a small amount of arctic alumina over everything? Then mold a big heatink over everthing........

the only problem in coating the whole board is that some componits get hot and need to be in contact with the air, you know things like capacitors, resistors do get hot, we just dont think about them all that much.

capacitors dont get hot, unless they're gettin too much voltage. then they mostly go "POP!" and the small SMD resistors shouldnt have enoufh current goin through them to cause trouble. and you mask off the tops of chips, t allow heat transfer.

I could move to the North Pole with everyone's fat jolly friend and run our PC outside! That would be cool enough!

If you insulate the CPU really good and load the pin holes in the socket w/ dielectric grease you shouldn't have condensation to worry about. Plus, condensated water has almost NO ions so it doesn't conduct electricity anyway. a few drops will not hurt your mobo. If you have a flood of water I would say you had more than a condensation problem. lol

CYA

You all b cool!

Back