• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Water Cooling Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Watch22

I'm thinking about moving my water cooling system to an external box. I have a slight hum and vibration from the pump that is driving me crazy. I can not get ride of the noise to make it completely silent.

I started thinking about making a Plexiglas enclosure to hold the heater core, fans, pump and reservoir.

Has anyone else made something like this? Also would 110V Fans be quieter the the Panflo's?

Thanks

ExternalWater.jpg

I am sure that if you got some 172mm fans at 110v AC attached to a dimmer switch, you would get a more desierable effect.

Good Luck

I'm going to do something similar. My problem is my room heats up so I want to install the rad, fan, and pump under the house. I happen to have a plexiglass box I am going to use. Plan to add an air filter on the box since there is dust in crawl space. ...Rich

I'm also making an external watercooler system. Dual radiator setup with one 120 mm fan in a push/pull windtunnel setup. I just finished building the case and I made it out of 3/4" MDF. The material is very dense and great for killing sound, but I am still going to line the inside of it with foamboard.

Junglebizz,

What is 3/4" MDF? Is Plexiglas going to radiate sound?

Thanks

MDF is medium density fiberboard. It's a rigid compund made of wood and tons of glue. It's what most people use when they build sub boxes in their cars. It is really good at containing sound.

I don't honestly know if you will have a problem with plexi radiating sound. I assume that you would be building it out of at least 1/4" plexi so that it has some rigidity to the structure. I don't think that it will radiate much , unless it is too thin.

Back