• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-{[Best WaterBlock]}-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epion2985

Registered
whats the best waterblock on the market right now in your opinion?

P.S.
where can I buy a white water waterblock, looked all over couldnt find it though. Thanks.

You want a premium block, you'll pay a premium price. From what it sounds like, Cathar worked closely with them to ensure the retail block will perform as close to his original design as possible, so it should be good. Gad I want one :D

Well if the white water is coming out I'm gonna wait before I buy anything :D How long do you think it will be until its out? by the end of month? end of summer?

I want watercooling and if it comes out soon i wanna buy it, but otherwise i was thinking about making one so i dunno

I e-mailed Dtek about this on the 15th and it is now the 25th (almost 26th) and they said it would be a couple of weeks, so I'd expect it in a couple of days. They also assured me that it would be competively priced with other blocks.. however for some reason I have a feeling it's going to be about $90

The White Water is still the best performing block on the market so expected to be priced for its performance.
Remember the lapping job wownt be the same as Cathar used to do (Hand Lapping is far much better :D )

The sooner it comes the better for us, but it will be a low stock for the first few weeks. If D-Tek as stated will start taking pre-orders, I hope they will have a good stock to accomodate the demand.

Lets hope the next block by Cathar currently in devolopment outperforms the White Water :D

TerroH8er said:
I e-mailed Dtek about this on the 15th and it is now the 25th (almost 26th) and they said it would be a couple of weeks, so I'd expect it in a couple of days. They also assured me that it would be competively priced with other blocks.. however for some reason I have a feeling it's going to be about $90

wow dtek emailed you back...

I have dispatched two emails to dtek bout reviews... 3 or so weeks passed...no response:rolleyes:

correct me if I am wrong but since there is inlet and two outlets on the white water, then the pressure drops equaly. So wouldnt you move 50% more water if you double the size of the inlet? since there is room for half the current inlet in each outlet.....

epion2985 said:
correct me if I am wrong but since there is inlet and two outlets on the white water, then the pressure drops equaly. So wouldnt you move 50% more water if you double the size of the inlet? since there is room for half the current inlet in each outlet.....

Beneath the inlet is a restrictive nozzle that boosts water velocity. The restriction here is about 4x that of the single barb inlet. Doubling the size of the inlet would do very little.

I see, well then let me ask you this, (form the looks those are 1/2') so why have the outlets be 1/2 is the inlet is in reallity 1/4? wouldnt it make more sence to make the outlets 1/8 each? I mean 1/2 is really over because there is still so much room left for the flow rate that isnt really there.

I'm guessing the answer is that since there is a 1/2 inlet and there is the restrictive nozzle like cather said. This causes more presses to build up and the water will move faster through the block and through the outlets. I see you point though, if there is a 1/2 inlet and 2 outlets, it would make sense that they should each be half the size of the inlet.

epion2985 said:
I see, well then let me ask you this, (form the looks those are 1/2') so why have the outlets be 1/2 is the inlet is in reallity 1/4? wouldnt it make more sence to make the outlets 1/8 each? I mean 1/2 is really over because there is still so much room left for the flow rate that isnt really there.

The total pressure drop of a waterblock is the sum of all the restrictive elements in the block. Making the two outlets smaller increases the pressure drop for the water to get out of the block because the water has to take a right angled turn to get out to the outlets. By using two outlets the exit restriction imposed by the block is less than a single outlet block.

This keeps with the design goal of the block applying a restriction only where it's necessary - being directly above the CPU core to accelerate water flow, and providing the least restrictions everywhere else.

The other reason is also to do with aesthetics. The inlet and outlet barb sizes match because they are keyed to whatever tubing size the user is using. Why fit 1/4" or 3/8" barbs when the user has ordered a 1/2" block? That would mean that the user would have to go and buy some different sized tubing when they ordered a 1/2" block and expected that it be compatible with their 1/2" tubing.

ie. Just because you could make the outlets smaller, doesn't mean that you should.

Back