• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

60$ water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys, I know a little bit about doing WC for cheap. I can't promise much in the way of performance though, but check out this setup:

From Becooling:
------------------------------------
1 Unablock Waterblock & Hold Down - $15.00
1 Mini-Jet Submersible Pump + Res - $12.99
6 Nylon Hose Clamps - $4.14
- FedEx Ground Home Delivery - $6.99
-------------------------------------
Total: $41.32 Shipped

From Home Depo:
Clear Tubing - $5.00 Maximum
Total: $5.00

Autozone:
Some Cheap(-est) Heatercore - $20.00 Maximum
Total: $20.00

Grand Total So far: ~$64.32 (estimated after I reduced the shipping from MI to OH)
Now all you need is a fan for the radiator and you'll be set.
I hope this helped!!

a good water block costs about $40-50, and same price for a good radiator, but u can get those from old cars, and then there is pump which would be abother $30-40 i think, then there is the tubing, distilled water or dioinised water, and other small things.

so $60 is possible if u make everything urself inc. water block, but other wise i'd say it's gonna be hard.

for a good setup u'd be looking at $150ish

(correct me if im wrong, im still new at WC, sorry)

arnoldma said:
a good water block costs about $40-50, and same price for a good radiator, but u can get those from old cars, and then there is pump which would be abother $30-40 i think, then there is the tubing, distilled water or dioinised water, and other small things.

so $60 is possible if u make everything urself inc. water block, but other wise i'd say it's gonna be hard.

for a good setup u'd be looking at $150ish

(correct me if im wrong, im still new at WC, sorry)

Thats the stigma/myth about watercooling, most think its gotta be costly but you can pull in a decent system for under $150.
The setup above, that I mentioned, would stay below $100 even with the details such as the water wetter chemicals and such//

Hey, guys - how much water-cooling will cost depends very much on how far
you want to take it. Commercial kits that give you performance beyond
high-end air may run 200-300 bucks. You can bring that down by 100-150 or
so by "acquiring" separate components and building most of it on your own.
Here is a rough list of what you'll need and likely cost-ranges:

40-50 CPU water-block
25-40 Heater-core radiator
35-70 Water Pump
20-30 Fans; 2 x 120 mm
10-25 Reservoir
10-15 Hoses, Clamps, Water Wetter
45-75 Video-Card water-block (optional)

For building the rig I'm running now, I stayed on the left side of those
numbers and managed to keep it under 150. I got the CPU block heater-core
and pump on-line. For the reservoir, hoses, etc. I went to Home Depot;
I already had some used fans laying in my junk-box.

If you have the tools and skills, you can build your water-block for maybe 20;
you might be able to pick up a decent used heater core at a local salvage yard.
Hope that helps some & welcome to the world of water cooling!

i was thinking that the waterblock will be the only expensive part, i have a line on a heatercore from a ford van for like 5$, then those via aqua pumps are only like 25, fans arent crap, so its back the the block. is there good cheap water blocks? i know Maze 3's are really good, but is there something for like 20$ that doesnt suck the big one?

also: i go to lans alot, would all the movement for lans make it a bad idea to get watercooling?

Last edited:
If you have a drill press you should be able to make a #rotor style water block without too much difficulty. Other than that, the only new block in your price range is the Una block on becooling. If you have time to wait until you get 100 posts you can always check the classifieds.

Concerning lans: As long as you have the pump bolted down, and all your fittings tightened properly you should be fine, just as long as you are willing to carry around your heavy @$$ system :D. And you want a t-line instead of a res in your system. This will make it so that shaking your system, and turning it upside down will not be as much of a danger.

Caeberos said:
If you have a drill press you should be able to make a #rotor style water block without too much difficulty. Other than that, the only new block in your price range is the Una block on becooling. If you have time to wait until you get 100 posts you can always check the classifieds.

Concerning lans: As long as you have the pump bolted down, and all your fittings tightened properly you should be fine, just as long as you are willing to carry around your heavy @$$ system :D. And you want a t-line instead of a res in your system. This will make it so that shaking your system, and turning it upside down will not be as much of a danger.

Yeah, that t-line thing would be a good ideal. But the core of that is to make sure you properly close the top of the Tline, it can be just as bad as using a res when not used properly.

If you're buying and assembling. You can do very good with $150. $150 $150 $150...

It's been the standard forever. Do a search...
You can drop that as you get deeper into making everything yourself.

IMHO unless you actually have above average experiance with all forms of tools.

I'm advising you to save another $60, then come back and see us. Not to say it can't be done. Shoot that's why we're all here. I just don't want you to be turned off when something goes wrong and you throw $60 down the toilet + the cost of your CPU.

Not to say you couldn't do it. I just see the odds as not in your favor if you don't know what you're doing. Sorry :'( Go work two weekends at a Wendy's, take your check, and we'll see you in three weeks! It's really that simple!

Caeberos said:

is this a t-line? the tube that has the tape on it? and if so, why would that be better than a res? seems it would be just as dangerous.
05220004.JPG

I'm with Toysrme opinion there dood.
With $60 you cant do much for watercooling unless you go for DYI waterblock ;)

Another option would be getting a heatercore real cheap and go with wetwilly's shroud (2 Gladware Containers) seek the forums for his thread. Also a res can be made from an electrical junction box, but since you're tight on the budget id say go for a T-Line.

The real expense in your setup if you want good performance is the waterblock. There are a few good waterblock which will give you very good performance.
Morphling's 1 Block (you can private msg him)
Neomoses Evo Block (www.logiccooling.com) nice guy to work with
D-Tek TC4 (www.d-tek.com)

These blocks are not cheap but they are good performers :)

For the tubing if you dont want to spend on Clearflex60 or Tygon go for the vinyl stuff from HomeDepot. Be sure its 12mm ID

Thats all from my point of view.
If this sounds to much then save some more $$$ and get everything from d-tek or dangerden.
But for the block I stand on my feet those are good performers.

The White Water is still out of reach :p

Last edited:
GoingH2o: The first link didnt work and the second link, the adress is being sold. What if i made my own block? I was looking at the African Queen (the home built w/c system from www.overclockers.com) and i thought i could make something like that. I know a guy who works at a machine shope so if i gave him specs he could prolly do it for cheap, and my grandfather is pretty good with that kind of drill and such as well.

AlucardCasull said:
GoingH2o: The first link didnt work and the second link, the adress is being sold. What if i made my own block? I was looking at the African Queen (the home built w/c system from www.overclockers.com) and i thought i could make something like that. I know a guy who works at a machine shope so if i gave him specs he could prolly do it for cheap, and my grandfather is pretty good with that kind of drill and such as well.

Fixed the links sorry bro.

Well making a block is not that easy, i know you can do a rotor block or maze block with a drillpress, but the performance and looks to me are the most important part.
If ill be going to buy a waterblock at the moment ill go either
for Morhpling's Block ( you can take a look at it here http://www2.arnes.si/~mlivak/Mk4/mk4 rev2 001.JPG )

Neomoses Evo follow the link in my previus post

Other than that most ppl will wait for the White Water

Save yourself the trouble and just save up enough for a really good system and install it from the start...
maybe by the time you finally save up enough, the WW will be available from D-Tek and then you can have the best currently available watercooling system on the market.

Whatever you decide to do...dont skimp on the pump. Get a good one that will last you a few upgrades or more, and use a heater core instead ...they are way better than ANY commercially available rad out there.

$150 for a watercooling system is peanuts.
Bottom line the more you spend the better youll feel, trust me.

LiquidSquirt said:
and use a heater core instead ...they are way better than ANY commercially available rad out there.

or go with the d-tek commericial radiator, they r bascially a done up chevette heatercore, or so im told :)

I am trying as we speak do to the cheapest watercooling possible. So far I have spent $15 shipped on a Danger Den Maze 1 from ebay, a Danger Den cooling cube with a 120mm fan for $20 shipped in the classifieds (I think he might still have 1 more left) http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=198384

So I have spent $35 so far and have 2 main componants. Now I need find a pump and I could be done (of course tubing and water but you know what I mean) With the right deal on a pump this can be around a $60 project. I can make this a more expensive project by finding a NB block, a Video card block, installing a res (which I am probably going to do). Anyone have and like the 5 1/4 res for mounting in the drive bays?

Back