• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

diy Water block, How thin is to thin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xargon

Registered
Just wondering about the thickness of the base on a copper water block, general whats good whats not etc.. looking at making a basic spiral design, was looking at about 2mm thick but i think that might be to thin.

You don't want to make it too thin because copper is a soft metal and I'm not sure exactly how much pressure a pump would put into the block, but you wouldn't want it to blast through the base :p

From what I've seen around. 2mm is the thinist you'd want to go.

It's not the pump pressure, but the block mounting pressure
you need to worry about.

Warping a block, while mounted because of excessive pressure
would really suk the big mabo.

ok, im going to use a lexan top tho i have a bunch of leftover lex that i cant use for a res. or anything so ill use it to cover the top i think i have my design figured out. the inlet will be right over the core area and the outlet will be at the above the inlet going to figure a spring mounting system for it here soon, first i got to find of copper stock :)

also how wide should the channels be?

Back