• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Swiftech pump too hot to touch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Derodeo

Registered
I just installed a Swiftech H2O kit (leak testing phase). The supplied Swiftech MCP300 pump seems like a lemon though. The first thing I noticed was that it rattled - not a vibration rattle against the case, but a very distinct internal rattle (impeller?). That was bad enough but now I noticed it gets very hot. After 1/2 an hour, the pump inlet is too hot to hold my finger on it. Having to unplug it all the time is making it difficult to leak test...

I have the pump separated from the fill & bleed kit. It's positioned so that the pump inlet is pointing up and the outlet is horizontal. I never received any pump specific documentation so I don't know if maybe the pump has to be a particular orientation? I can't see that as it comes laying on it's side in the drive tray.

Anyone else experience a bad pump from Swiftech?

What are you basing your comments on [OC]This? Have you used more then one of their pumps? I'm not defending the pump, but saying vague statements with no concrete comments about the reliability, build quality, pump output, etc.....makes it hard to understand WHY you take this stance against the pump.

User error

There's nothing wrong with the Swiftech pump - I'm the idiot. After the last bleed session I forgot to open the main valve (it was getting late). No wonder the pump was hot! It's running nice cool and quiet now.

There's a few things I could complain about regarding the Swiftech cooling kit but the pump isn't one of them. It's as powerful as the popular competitors, costs a bit less, and is considerably more compact allowing it to be placed in locations that other pumps simply couldn't fit. I just hope I didn't shorten its life span too much...

BTW, I'm running two radiators and GPU cooling as well and my CPU temperatures are about 8C lower than with air cooling (Alpha 8045 with 75cfm fan). Using a thermal probe, the CPU about 33C idle (but overclocked 2100+ to 2400 Mhz) and 37C load. My Radeon 9700 is running about 12C cooler than with the stock heatsink/fan. Now that I'm not running a high speed CPU fan, the Antec P/S fans seem sooo loud ;-)

you would see nothing wrong with the pump because they don't usually break when you first get it..

Give it some time and you will see the pump start to leak... all over. Leaks so bad enough to make flood.. Horrible pumps.. MCP300 that is.. :p

The Switech Pump(especially the MCP300) are made to leak.. They leak so easily... they should've named this product to "Switech Leak Generator".... not pump. LOL! :D

you don't need proof...

these pumps sux... when I say so, it is so. Just take at that. ;) When the man like [OC]_This say something, you listen..

LOL... OMG... now that's funny. Since I just ordered one of these pumps, I spent a couple hours searching this forum and doing a google search on the internet. I did NOT find any evidence of abnormally excessive MCP300 pump failures to back up your claims. I'm with SemiCycle, I wanna see proof. Please don't confuse your personal opinions with actual real world facts.

he..he...

if you want to find out about the Swfty MCP300 pumps' reliablity, go to major forum sites i.e. [h]ardforum, amdmb, and other forums sites, not the mcp300 commercial sites.. they wouldn't post bad things about the product. They would bring out the good things.. and those review sites, they review the product that is new, not used or old... you can take anything, test em and you'll likely find nothing wrong... that's the key here. ;)

:D

Last edited:
I'm not going to hijack someone elses thread and turn it into a crapping contest. My apologizes Derodeo. It's good to see you got your pump working properly. Be sure to post some pics of your rig.

Providing some links would be nice. I did look at AMDMB and I searched overclockers.com (which happens to be a major forum). I did not look at [H]ard yet since they seems more interested in chest thumping and flaming each other. What little bit I did find about problems sounded like people cracked or warped the pump housing from improper installation and/or over-tightening mounting screws. Again you offer absolutely nothing to back up your claims. Yeah... Semi is right... this is getting us nowhere.

hehe.. oh i like this... fun fun..

look... I'm not tying to beat all you guys here arguing. I'm not interested in that.. and even if I have the backed up sources right in front of me, I probably wouldn't post it... just because i feel like not doing it.. I don't have to show proof... that's the whole concept.. putting more emphasis on this than anything else you could possibly imagine. ;)

Like I've said, Swiftech MCP300 sux...... sux sux sux! HAHA!! :D I love this word "sux". my favorite.. :p

If [OC_This]says it sux then it does I have one and we will see,and ya know something funny I have been looking for a Eheim or an Iwaki and then maybe a March and oh yes I have a lot of proof about the Swifty leakers and when I found out that they leak it was to late its running right now,and I am gonna keep both eyes on it some folks don't B.S. and OC is one of em heh;)

I've got 2 MCP300's on the way from being RMA'ed after about 4 months of use, one leaked, and they both chewed up the impeller/magnet asymblies. I can not recondmend these pumps, I've used several different makes and the Eheim and Hydor are really the only brands that I have any confidence in anymore.

The MCP300 do a good job with flow rate, their small, relitively quite, and don't produce much heat. BUT THEY ARE NOT RELIABLE.

Buddy said:
If [OC_This]says it sux then it does I have one and we will see,and ya know something funny I have been looking for a Eheim or an Iwaki and then maybe a March and oh yes I have a lot of proof about the Swifty leakers and when I found out that they leak it was to late its running right now,and I am gonna keep both eyes on it some folks don't B.S. and OC is one of em heh;)
oh.. [im shy] I didn't know you're in this forum too.. You've been seeing me spewing here. Im embarassed...
headscratch.gif

Thanks for the support. :D

After Buddy and Maj Slaughter's reply here, I'm looking at BatBoy now. BatBoy, looks like you're not winning. LOL!

Base the information on people with actual experience in these pumps, not the review sites. ;) That's the difference.

and yeah, I'm honest... if something sux, I say it... plain n simple. hehe!

Ya know that is very funny OC and Major Slaughter,they say they want proof well they got it right out of the horses mouth,I read your post Major Slaughter at the other forum and I remounted the pump strait up and like I said I have both eyes on it and thaks for the info Major,OC_This

Back