• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator Questionm plz plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

What do you guys (girls) recommend when you run a single fan radiator?
A. Fan pushing air through the radiator (acting as a front intake)
B. Fan pulling air through the radiator (acting as an exhaust)

Just wondering because as I was viewing watercooling setups, I saw some of both. Thanks :)

good question...i would be curious to know as well...i suppose you could try both and then share with the rest of us which is best. My guess would be that pushing air through is the best but i could be wrong. At least with a shroud it seems like it would be best.

Theoretically speaking, there are advantages and disadvantages both ways.

The only way to know for sure what will work best for your particular setup (in terms of noise as well as cooling) is to try both arrangements.

If you don't want to try both, then rest assured that someone will tell you that the way you didn't choose is better.

Generally speaking you can SUCK more air through a radiator than you can BLOW through it. But, I'm sure, you can find instances where the opposite is true. :)

lrlucas said:
Generally speaking you can SUCK more air through a radiator than you can BLOW through it. But, I'm sure, you can find instances where the opposite is true. :)

definitly the case :D

I'd say blow cool air from outside your case through the radiator.

If you suck through the radiator, the air on the otherside of the radiator probably isn't as cool as air from outside your case.

my .02

well, I can say firmly that pulling the airflow instead of pushing works better for me, I read this thread, decided to try it out, turned my fans (3-80mm generic ones) to pull through my rad instead of pushing, and within 15 minutes, my CPU temp dropped by 2 degrees even though my case temp went up by 1 degree.

TheGhengisKhan said:
well, I can say firmly that pulling the airflow instead of pushing works better for me, I read this thread, decided to try it out, turned my fans (3-80mm generic ones) to pull through my rad instead of pushing, and within 15 minutes, my CPU temp dropped by 2 degrees even though my case temp went up by 1 degree.

Interesting results.

Axial fans can generally push more air through a restriction than they can pull through the same restriction. That's consistent with your case temperature going up if the overall airflow through your case is reduced.

However, when the fans are pushing air through the heatercore, the fans heat the air up before it reaches the rad. This decreases the rad's efficiency. So moving the fans from pushing to pulling is consistent with lower CPU temperatures.

There are a lot of unknowns here, and there may be other issues as well, but these results make some sense.

Back