• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone use this 12V pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rufus210

Registered
First of all, I'm a n00b here and this is my first post :D

Anyway, I'm looking to put together my first watercooling system as I'm about to go off to college (CMU!) and 9 fans is just *way* too many to sleep next to in a dorm room. I was looking at the Via Aqua 1300 pumps as they are cheap ($20!) and seem to do fairly well. I then saw this pump:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=2-1235&catname=water

Anyone have any idea if it's actually any good? At $30 for a 12v pump that supposedly can do 420GPH (7GPM * 60) it seems like a good deal.

Hrm, looking around a bit more, I *think* this is the pump:

http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPMarine/Water_circulation/cm10_30_c090.htm

The P/Q curves look pretty good. The only thing I'm wondering about is how much noise this will produce. If the noise is reasonable, I think I'll go ahead and get this.

Last edited:
Personally I would stick with proven and tested pumps. Why put your complete system at risk using a cheap pump. First ask yourself can you afford to loose a motherboard, video card, sound card, memory using a $20.00 pump. Eheim pumps are reliable well tested. With only one moving part which is a nylon impeller. Eheim pumps are bullet proof and very quiet......

Also remember the pumps your looking at are all 12 volt models. Unless you have a very good and large power supply these type of pumps can put a large drain on the P/S. You would be better off using a 120 volt AC model.

Last edited:
Those pumps go for a lot more than $30 usually. They list for around $100. They don't have a very good life rating from the manufacturer, but some people on Procooling seem to like them. I doubt you'll find many people who have them, so it's up to you weather you want to risk it or not.

A note: There is a 12v Ehiem 1046 now.

As Dodge said go with Eheim, you can't go wrong with those pumps.
I'm so glad I purchased an Eheim1250. Gr8 Pump No Noise.

The 12v pumps are ok but we don't know yet how much load they put on the PSU.

If Unloaded has purchased a pump running at 12v he could tell us :)

Eheim are expensive, but you get what you pay.
Danner Mag3 are good as well, but I'd stick with Eheim ;)

How much power do these 12v pumps draw? I have a nice Antec 400w PSU, but I also have 3 HD's (120gb 8mb WD, 80gb 8mb WD, and 60gb WD =), a CD-RW, an overclocked Athlon (1.47ghz - 2.15ghz @ 1.8v), and I'm thinking of going for a 9700. Do you think I'm already loading down much PSU too much to risk adding a pump?

I just looked up the Eheim 12v pump, but that thing is $85! That's close to what I was looking to spend on the entire system. If I'm not going to go with this pump, I'll go with either a Via Aqua 1300 or a Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, each of which can be found for about $20.

As I have always said, why on earth would someone spend hundreds if not thousands of dollar on their computer system and cheap out on a $20.00 pump. Considering if you choose to water-cool then your pump is the heart of the system....

DodgeViper said:
As I have always said, why on earth would someone spend hundreds if not thousands of dollar on their computer system and cheap out on a $20.00 pump. Considering if you choose to water-cool then your pump is the heart of the system....
Ok, I can accept that, but $85 is quite steep. The Eheim 1250 is also $70 or so. Are there any pumps that you would suggest in the more $30 to $40, maybe $50 range?

[edit] What about the Danner Supreme Mag Drive #3? PetsMart has it for only $45 (and localy), and this Review of it looks quite good.

Last edited:
DodgeViper said:
Personally I would stick with proven and tested pumps. Why put your complete system at risk using a cheap pump. First ask yourself can you afford to loose a motherboard, video card, sound card, memory using a $20.00 pump. Eheim pumps are reliable well tested. With only one moving part which is a nylon impeller. Eheim pumps are bullet proof and very quiet......

Also remember the pumps your looking at are all 12 volt models. Unless you have a very good and large power supply these type of pumps can put a large drain on the P/S. You would be better off using a 120 volt AC model.

You'll never know until you've tried. Have you tried?

"12 volts DC, 2.2 amps"
12 x 2.2 = 26.4 watts. A lot less than most pumps.
2.2 amps is like having a few 120s going....

Jon

Read the link above. This pump retails for much more than the $30 listed. If you're going by price alone, then that should tell you of the quality.

... I'm not saying that this purchase would be without risk, but I think going by price alone might be a mistake. This is a surplus outlet that is selling these for much cheaper than they retail for.

I'd say if you're a BIT of a risk taker and use a monitoring software with a shutdown utility (and have BIOS protection), then go for it. It would do the community a service as well. If it fails, then you can go out and get a maxijet or hopefully you will have saved up for a nicer replacement.

The only way I would say "get an Ehiem no matter what" would be with a direct die application.

The Hydor L30 Pump is a great pump, just as good as the eheim 1250, and for alot less money.

I am using that pump in my watercooled system.

Dodge...

Seriously. Are you reading these replys? It's only that cheap because it's at a surpus store. Do you shop in terms of cost on everything? If so, then the CPUFX Reactor should be your next purchase along with a BIX2.

I've never seen you react in such a way to something. I know we have a lot of accepted norms in our hobby, but we'll never know what else may work if we don't step out of them every now and then.

A lot of people use Maxi-jets. They're even cheaper, but work pretty good.

As a side note... I don't care what kind of equipment you have. You should run monitoring software with a shutdown utility along with a motherboard that has protection. You should then be protected in most case. Not bulletproof, but pretty good.

...I wish I had the money to get one of these things, but I already got my Maxijet and next week will be purchasing my waterblock.

Upon going back to the procooling thread linked to, I have discovered that the motor has brushes and might induce some noise into the electrical system and do wear out. Although I'm still not against trying it, I might steer someone away if it were thier first pump. I think I would have a replacement on hand just to be safe.

Sorry to be so rude, Dodge. I think everyone likes the idea of not messing with 120v.

My question is if it's in a surplus store, what's it surplus from?

And I read, "CM10 and CM30 magnetically driven".
What in the hell!? As opposed to WHAT!? A Spring you dumb*!
*I prefer F with an ER here, but insert what you want.

I see both sides, but I really have to back DV much more...

Why would you not spend $10-20 extra on something with known condition and reliability, along with a warrenty...

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

It's like having a cheap powerstrip VS atleast a brand name powerstrip or even a full APC/UPS. Anyone that dosen't stick sensitive electronic equipment and it get's blown by a spike, or lightning shouldn't complain about replacing it.

It was their choice to buy crap in the first place. I feel for them, but there isn't much sympathy.

Or a better equation could be replacing the break master cylinder of a car. There is nothing nessicarily wrong with using a rebuilt one. The problem simply lies in that many of them are utter crap and will not function well, or not function for long, or any combination of the two.
Then again, it could go on to give you 30 years of service...

Another equation would be buying a cheap overclockable CPU.

The only way it's to be current is overclocking and you just happen to pick the one in the barrel that won't hit 5 mhz over stock...

We can all understand when you complain when it goes wrong, We all have.

Then again you get what you pay for...

Gather up $20 more and do it the right way...

Do as you wish, it's your $20 investment that has everything in your case in it's hands...

Normally I'd say just CPU and motherboard. Then again WE don't know if that thing is gonna catch fire after thirty min of operation now do we???

Sorry for being long winded and drawing it out so much...

To add to that...

There is nothing wrong with a good brushless motor! Get off your sterotypes ROTFLMAO!

Brushless motors have the ***potential*** for higher preformance and more longevity. It's not a given...

One of the most important things in a brushless motor is it's breakin, which is a tedious proceedure.
It's also out of our hands and in whoever made it. So you don't *know* if that beautiful brushless motor is good or not.

Bah... Stereotypes LoL!

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx
hahahaha
That sounds like something I woulda said months ago LoL!
My opinion on them changed when "My Via Aqua crapped out" posts stoped being posted at the insane rate of 5 a day. That and I used some for friends.

Back