• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windshield washer pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slidertom75

I was wondering if anyone has used a windshield washer pump for their water cooling system. I had one lying around and checked it out. It doesnt pump a lot of volume but it does have a lot of pressure. Sounds like it would be a cool pump to use with a restrictive water block. Anyways, just wondering.

Try it and see, but I would be very careful of the fact that it can drain a good amount of power off your PSU if you're planning on going that route.

Another thing to consider, windshield washer pumps were never meant to run 24/7, they're for momentary use. I don't know how long it would last under constant use, or how much heat would be produced by the pump. IMO you'd be better off to use a pond or hobby pump. Anything is worth a try but be careful eh?

good luck,

J.

IMO I would not trust that pump for very long. I personaly wouldn't put it on a $200 cpu chip but to "play around" or do some testing on a cheap chip I'd say go ahead give it a shot and tell us what happens!

I'm salvaging a water pump from the ac/heater system from a 98-03 jaguar XJ. It's designed to work for longer peiods of time and with a higher flow rate then a windscreen washer pump. I've got a nice string truepower powersupply and hopefully it'll run this pump without any problems. WE'LL SEE!:D

Good luck!

Back