• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Glycol + Corrosion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkiFletch

hey guys, long time no see. I had a quick question for you all. Does anyone know if glycol (either ethlyene or propylene) has any corrosion inhibition properties like water wetter or antifreeze does? yes? no? maybe? lemme know what you all thinik. thanx

Doubt it. It seems that all antifreezes have an anticorrosion package in addition to the glycol which is the bulk of the fluid and provides the antifreeze protection.

Yeah, all antifreeze has some form of corrosion inhibitor in it.

Just use water wetter and the like... Antifreeze is one of the worst things ever for dealing with heat...

well, i'm asking cause I cant use water wetter or antifreeze in this application. its not for a computer water cooling system. its actually for my job attempting to design a new thermal diving suit for the navy. we're using a liquid heated/cooled inner garment to suppliment the insulation, but have many dissimmilar metals in our testing and control apparatus currently. our stupid "stainless" steel flowmeters are corroding left and right, but as per the manufacturers specs of those flowmeters, we cant put water wetter, or antifreeze through it, but we can put straight glycol through it. oh well, we'll see what happens, time to go looking for corrosion inhibition alternatives.

Glycol extends the useful temperature range of water. That's it, it doesn't have anticorrosive properties.

The anticorrosive package is added to do just that, and specific compounds protect one or more specific metals differently. For example silicates protect aluminum, tolytriazole protect lead solder, etc...

Um... They're called "wet suites".

Just make your divers drink a lot of coffee and/or water before they go gallivanting around underwaer and incorperate a straw into the breathing apperatous...

Talk about simplicity in it's simplest form...

...Oh yes it will work. Don't think for a min that it'll e too much pressure on them to preform! <ohhhhh and he shoots for the pun>

The french had to **** on their gas masks in WWI... That's a hundred times more pressure, and I bet not many of them had trouble doing it!

Back