• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First PIV O/C !!! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maglin

Hello everyone... Well this is my fist time O/Cing intel since my 233MMX from back in the day... This is my setup:

IC7 Bios 1.3
PIV 2.4c @ Default voltage Mal plant
Cosair 2x 256MB PC3500C2
Zalman CNPS 7000-Cu
BBA 9700pro @ 391/335 Cat 3.4 8x AGP w/ Zalman HSF
SB Live 5.1
3Com 10/100 TX NIC
IBM Deskstar 40GB
Thermaltake Truepower 420w PSU

Well let me tell you.... I just upgraded from a 1.4 TBird... This thing as only 2.4ghz flys compaired to my old setup... The Duel DDR might be a good factor in that... I installed everything into my OLD OUTDATED case and procedded to power it up...

I get power to the board but it won't start up... I start double checking everything all my connections and what not and try again... Still no go... I start to freak thinking I got a bad IC7 that I've been reading about... Well I start to unplug my drives and thought I would give it a go with just the MB hooked to the PSU... Sure enough 3 seconds after I hit the power button it starts up... So I start to plug in each device and power up between each device... Now I have everything hooked up and the system starts to post the instant I press the power button... (I guess the Capaitors had to charge up maybe I don't know)... First thing I did was Flash the BIOS to 1.3 then I install a fresh copy of XP Pro and the inf Drivers... Now it's time to see what this thing can do... For the first try I go with a FSB800 Strap, 5:4 Memory ratio, 270 FSB, 1.8 DDRv, and Lock PCI/AGP... Nothing happens... it won't power again... I clear CMOS... Go back in and set everything the same cept I set PCI/AGP to auto and go with a 272 FBS... Sure enough it posts and literally flys into windows... I'm at 3.26ghz with HT enabled... And I'm running my PC3500 Ram at DDR 438 which is just slightly O/Ced...

First thing I do is run 3DMark2001SE... HOLY ****... I got 19,312 marks.... I just about crapped my pants... I'm very impressed with this where it is... I'm going to go higher but I'm going to BURN it IN at 3.26 for a few days before I start to push it harder...

Only one problem I have and that is with F@H.... It will only 50% CPU probably cause HT is enabled and it's only useing the so called one processor as my Idle is exactly 50%.... Does anyone know how I can fix this so I can use 100% when I'm at Idle??? I rather use F@H to burn in as it will help out humanity and people seem to srart getting strangh things after runnign Prime95 for more than a day... Usually Hardware failers and I'm just going to see if F@H will not do the same...

This is a Grand Board I would recomend this board to anyone wanting a 875 chipset... I also got a Malasia <--can't spell 2.4c OEM all from Newegg for a good price.... I feel that this thing will do 3.4ghz without to much work...

Maglin

nice O/C and FSB only Memory holding your system! ,very good wll be when you trail put memory synchro with CPU with less clock of CPU! trail max FSB synchro (as well CPU too)

Maglin said:
Only one problem I have and that is with F@H.... It will only 50% CPU probably cause HT is enabled and it's only useing the so called one processor as my Idle is exactly 50%.... Does anyone know how I can fix this so I can use 100% when I'm at Idle??? I rather use F@H to burn in as it will help out humanity and people seem to srart getting strangh things after runnign Prime95 for more than a day... Usually Hardware failers and I'm just going to see if F@H will not do the same...
Maglin, I too have a new P4 setup, 2.6C etc. Leave FAH as it is... It really IS using 100% but the HT thinks it is not. Running 2 instances of FAH is not a problem but you won't work the CPU any harder. To run 2 instances you MUST be using the console version of FAH, NOT the GUI. What you have to do is create 2 separate directories... FAH1 and FAH2 for example. In the config file where it asks you MACHINE ID [1-4], in the FAH1 folder make it ID1 and in the FAH2 folder make it ID2.

Memory in sync of the CPU is a bottleneck with Duel DDR.... I've been able to get as high as 295 FSB now with the 3:2 mem divider... I found out the the 3:2 mem divider actually changes the SPD timings as that was running my ran to tight... But I need more NB cooling to run stable at 295+ so I'm back down to 275 until I get a new HSF for my NB...

I set up F@H client a while back and run it now when I'm not playing games.... Even though it only a Idle process it still gives me a hit in my games.... I'm very pleased with my setup.... I was just wanting to go above 3.2Ghz and I'm running stable at 3.3 so I'm happy for the next few months....

Back