• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is7's vs ic7's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

carmello22

i was wondering the differences in the two families of boards. it seems that the is7's are cheaper than the ic7's, but how do they compare performance wise?

I was asking myself the same question too. But from what i see around here most people here have the ic7 and i seldom see anyone posting about their IS7 overclocking experience.

If i were to upgrade i`d go for the IC7 no questions ask.

and i have a question, which of the 2 chipsets is the latest chipset from intel is it canterwood or springdale.

Officialy canterwood is about 20 days younger from springdale ....
....but unofficialy they have ecxact the same age since you could buy both of them from the same day ;)

I just got my IS-7.

Well you see a lot less issues posted on the IS-7. Its less spread but maybe has less memory issues than IC-7.
Mine booted up straight away. My only problem is with ATI drivers but thats not Abits fault.
I'm running right now a 230 FSB. I'll try more tomorrow.

Does the IS7 have any issues with running 4 sticks of 256MB single sided modules? 4 sticks' gonna fill up all the slots.

What about 2 x 512MB double sided sticks? Any issues?

And 4 x 256MB or 2 x 512MB would be better for overclocking?

Fewer sticks are better. With four sticks, there's a better chance that one of them will be a bit slower than the others and limit your overclock than with two sticks.

I can't get above 240 for stable overclock on my IS-7. Most IC-7:s seems to get a lot higher.

Of course several other factors limits the overclock but I have not pushed either CPU, temp or memory. (not above 50 deg Celcius, not above 3200 memory)
Raising the voltage doesn't help either (up to 1.6V no diff) so I think its a FSB limit.
At FSB 240 its very stable at default voltage and hotter then at 250 Prime testing.

In that case IS-7 is a very bad overclocker.

wunderbaum said:
I can't get above 240 for stable overclock on my IS-7. Most IC-7:s seems to get a lot higher.

Of course several other factors limits the overclock but I have not pushed either CPU, temp or memory. (not above 50 deg Celcius, not above 3200 memory)
Raising the voltage doesn't help either (up to 1.6V no diff) so I think its a FSB limit.
At FSB 240 its very stable at default voltage and hotter then at 250 Prime testing.

In that case IS-7 is a very bad overclocker.

Your Samsung RAM may be the bottleneck. How do you run it (frequency, timings)?

Look at other posts. It won't run at DDR400 since Dualchannel puts more stress on it... That's why people put PC3500 or rather PC3700 modules in configurations like this :)

I tried running the RAM at 3:2. It did not make any difference.

I dont use dual channel.(it only makes 5%+ anyway) Only have one stick. Its at SPD timings which is CAS 3 for Samsung. So the memory is not aggresive at all.

Well using the 3:2 ratio can be problemous in some cases. Get some faster modules (at last lend from a friend etc, a pair if you can!) and try the 5:4 ratio.

btw how's your 7000CU? Is it really silent? Temps? I'm planning exactly the same mobo+cpu+cooler :)

Last edited:
Canterwood and Springdales are bined apart by Intel.
Asus even claim they'll enable a PAT-option on their Springdale boards.

My IS7 is running with the FSB at 254 MHz with PC3200 DDR running at 3:2. When my PC3500 comes in, I'll go higher (well, at least I'll set the ratio at 5:4).

I don't have any issues with my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro except that my 3DMark03 score is 100 points lower than I get on my 3 GHz i850E rig (5390 vs. 5519).

Edit: turns out I had a bad stick of DDR. So now my setup is running at 3.36 GHz with the DDR at the 5:4 ratio and the 3DMark03 score is up to 5465. That's about equal to the average score I get with the same 9700 Pro on my i850E 3 GHz setup. Dunno why a slower RDRAM rig that only does AGP 4X is just as fast as this 3.36 GHz setup at AGP 8X.

Last edited:
Back