• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small GPU block needed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Veland

So, my project to watercool the Shuttle sitting by my side has hit another snag. Watercooling the GPU is a must, but from the PCB to the case it's a total of 20mm! And the core builds some, so in reality it's even less.

Anybody has good suggestions for small GPU blocks? The Swiftech MCW40 could just about make it, at 18,5mm, but it's really tight..

Others?

smallest i can find is the innovatek one, but thats 33mm high so no go there.
How about a custom side inlet/exit one like the swiftech?
I dont think your gonna find one smaller that that really.

lemme see a pic of what you have to play with, I might be able to help ya:)

Jon

Ok, this has taken some time, I just had to finish my Masters degree first!

Ok, pictures. Taken with my webcam so not the best quality.

This is a side shot of the case with the cover off and no AGP card installed:
EVT_side.jpg

Then we have a close up of the AGP slot and the side of the case. The case cover is a "U" type:
EVT_close_agp.jpg

Last the only WB I have found (yet) that may fit:
EVT_MCW40.gif

Did a more accurate measurement and found that there is a total of 21,5mm from the PCB of the AGP card to the case cover. Every card is slightly flexible, so maybe another millimetre or two can be had that way. Still, this is not counting how much the GPU builds. If the Swiftech is used, that leaves me with a possible GPU height of (21,5-18,5=) 3mm!

The only bad thing about the block is the 1/4" inner diameter tubing that must be used with it.. Was hoping to keep everything 3/8.

what size tubing do you plan on running? what other blocks are you gonna run in there too? what radiator, and pump do you plan on sticking in there?

Maybe a custom block might work best? :D

-edit- Oh, 3/8, I bet it wont be possible to get that tubing in there... I have an idea.... but it would be difficult.

why 3/8 tubing? cant you do 1/4?

Jon

Well, up to now I've planned to use 3/8 tubing with 1/2 elbows where needed, this to minimise restriction. As for other components, I am planning to go with the BlackIce Micro, since this is the only one that will fit easily. WB on the CPU is still undecided, but size is not that important here, there is suprisingly much room.

Pump is Eheim Compact 100, pumping 100l/h at 0,5m max head. It's a really small pump and the spec's are not too shabby. But the faily low max head does probably equal that restriction is not a very good thing. The outlet is 13mm (about 1/2 ?)

Would parallell work better maybe?

pump->3/8->rad->y-split using 1/4 to cpu and gpu->res.

Oh, and the 3/8 tubing should fit between the card and the case, just about. As long as the components on the card are not too big, that is..

where do you plan on putting the rez and pump?

as for splitting them, that would take up too much room. I would suggest not... I would run 3/8 everywhere...

can you measure from the gpu to the side of the case? like stick a gfx card in there and measure off of the face of the gpu. Ill see if we can make something to fit.

Jon

18.000 millimetre [mm] equivalent to: 0.70866 inch [in]

18mm is almost 3/4" of an inch, plenty of room for a block that's 1/2" thick with 3/8" barbs coming off the sides (use 3/8" copper tubing, soldered in so don't have to worry about thin walls around the barb).

I can make a block easy for that GPU. Can even put 1/2" tubing in it for barbs by using an endmill to make the hole oval in shape and flattening the tubing just a smidge and soldering it in.

I have 1/2" stock and 1/8" copper for a top (even have some 1/16" copper but that's a little thin for my tastes).

If you had a drawing of the GPU and the obstructions and where the mounting holes are, I could make one :D

Well, room is not that big a problem, actually, so I COULD do a Y-split, but the restiriction and stuff is holding me back.

As for GPU->case measurement, two things make this difficult: I haven't decided on a card yet, and being a U-cover, when it's closed, it's closed! So getting in for the measurement is impossible. But the figure I've got so far should be correct. (21,5mm to slot/pcb)

The pump will be submerged in the res, but this res will be something like 3*6*6cm and placed on the right side of the case seen from the side (over by the memory stick's in the photo)

As for somebody making the block, it's tempting. But transport might be costly and take some time. After all, most of the members here are located in USA, and it's some way over to Europe and Norway... But interesting.. As I haven't chosen the card yet, any measurements on clearing, holes ans stuff is not present..

Back