• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7's are all NOT created equally!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
OK, my first IC7 blew chunks, rev 1. Volages were whacked, temps were whacked, it just was no good. Do you ever just get that piece of hardware that you KNOW is just now right? Well that is how my first board was. This new board, the second, also a rev 1 rocks. The voltages are solid, 5V at 5.1V, 12V at 12.04V. The other boards 12V hung at around 11.8V. I guess the 'bad' board had a voltage problem altogether... now my VDIMM when set to 2.8, runs at 2.79 as opposed to 2.72. I am now happy with the IC7 :D And FWIW, the first board was from newegg and the second (the good one) was from mwave.

strange i think your the first person that ive seen with steady voltages. everything ive read says the board is undervolting. mine are at the exact same as the board you were referring to as having before. 11.92v on the 12v and 2.72v at 2.8v on the ddr :(

nikhsub1 said:
OK, my first IC7 blew chunks, rev 1. Volages were whacked, temps were whacked, it just was no good. Do you ever just get that piece of hardware that you KNOW is just now right? Well that is how my first board was. This new board, the second, also a rev 1 rocks. The voltages are solid, 5V at 5.1V, 12V at 12.04V. The other boards 12V hung at around 11.8V. I guess the 'bad' board had a voltage problem altogether... now my VDIMM when set to 2.8, runs at 2.79 as opposed to 2.72. I am now happy with the IC7 :D And FWIW, the first board was from newegg and the second (the good one) was from mwave.

WOW ...

That's great news nikhsub1 .

As this topic was mentioned in your other post " BUNK IC7 ?" and I too have the same problem .
God, I sure hope my 2cd board fairs as good .
*crossing fingers and toes*

I however , purchased both from Googlegear and my RMA replacement will be here friday .

If my voltage rails are bad the second time around , then MWAVE will be on my list for a 3rd IC7.

Thanks for the heads up nikhsub1 ! ;)

*edit*

Wish I new about MWAVE's good boards a day earlier !
(only ordered my replacement yesterday)

stereo555

Last edited:
Mine undervolts a tiny bit, but voltages are the steadiest of any mobo I've ever owned. A few boards apparently have had voltage regulator problems, but most seem good. I think these ver 1 mobos are having some teething problems.

on my board my 12v rail is also 11.8 and guess where I got it from u guessed it newegg.

Was it a big deal to rma and were u able to get a refund? I'd rather get the board from someone else this time.

Thanx

Soma said:
on my board my 12v rail is also 11.8 and guess where I got it from u guessed it newegg.

Was it a big deal to rma and were u able to get a refund? I'd rather get the board from someone else this time.

Thanx
It is easy to rma the board to newegg... The thing that sucks is that I want a refund, cause I got another board at mwave, and they charge you a 15% restocking fee for refunds, even if the product is defective, which mine is. Now, they don't charge a restocking fee for an exchange, but I did not have a week to wait.

nikhsub1 said:

It is easy to rma the board to newegg... The thing that sucks is that I want a refund, cause I got another board at mwave, and they charge you a 15% restocking fee for refunds, even if the product is defective, which mine is. Now, they don't charge a restocking fee for an exchange, but I did not have a week to wait.

Googlegear also was no problem with my RMA , but they too have the same policy .
I also oppted to change my RMA from REPLACE to REFUND as I too could not wait a week .
Not sure if I'll be hit with a 15% restock charge though as I purchased the replacement IC7 from Goolegear also , but theres a very good chance I will be.

I did however did the same at Newegg once and because I purchased the replacement mobo from them I did not get a restock fee (this only happened one time).

stereo555

my only question is if u get another board from newegg will it be defective?

Soma said:
my only question is if u get another board from newegg will it be defective?

Thats an impossible question to answer , but the probability of such a thing is highly unlikely allbeit though it has happened to others retailers .

Last edited:
so, why to buy IC7 with problems while you can buy asus mobos?
or, asus mobos also have the same problems?
by the way, all the reviews that you can find and read on the web, will not tell you about these problems. For them it's all perfect mobos.
after all they are sponsored by the companies !!!

here is a link to other abit mobo forum with many other problems like memory and temp.
http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=6

Guys, I'm from Europe and I hear you all talking about RMA and returning stuff when you don't like it.
Is that common practice? Don't the shops mind when you have opened the boxes and everything and have already used the board?
And what about CPU's? Can you first check for overclockability and when it's not fast enough, you can return it?
They should make this policy also here in Europe. I would buy a CPU every week, and return it and get myself a new one for free.

Vatt said:
Guys, I'm from Europe and I hear you all talking about RMA and returning stuff when you don't like it.
Is that common practice? Don't the shops mind when you have opened the boxes and everything and have already used the board?
And what about CPU's? Can you first check for overclockability and when it's not fast enough, you can return it?
They should make this policy also here in Europe. I would buy a CPU every week, and return it and get myself a new one for free.
Let me make one thing very clear... there is a big difference in rma'ing things that don't work properly (as the case with my first IC7) and rma'ing things because they dont OC well. TO me, that is unethical and I do not do such things.

nikhsub1 said:

Let me make one thing very clear... there is a big difference in rma'ing things that don't work properly (as the case with my first IC7) and rma'ing things because they dont OC well. TO me, that is unethical and I do not do such things.

"DITTO"

Goes for me as well .

I only RMA'd my IC7 due to bad voltage regulation , the same as nikhsub1 .

I have NEVER returned something such as a cpu because it did not overclock well .
Ive just lived with it , or re-sold it on e-bay or somewhere as a stock running cpu .

There IS a big differance , and (I would hope ) most of us here at the forums do the same .
(but its unfortunate , I too have seen too much unelthical overclocking practices)

My .02

stereo555

Soma / new egg's IC7's

My IC7 from newegg is fine. got it first week of may. No Problamo with the volts or ddr's just the memory

Originally posted by vivio10
here is a link to other abit mobo forum with many other problems like memory and temp.
This is just a 'drop in the bucket'. I've heard that googlegear alone is selling 200 units a day of the IC7. You hear much fewer posts from happy users than the unhappy one's.:)

*IC7 replacement UPDATE*

Well ,
I received and installed my 2cd IC7 .
(replaced due to voltage regulation and random reboots)

Your not going to beleive this but my 2cd boards voltages are EVEN WORSE :mad:

Bios and Windbond HWD voltages report the same :

The Vcore under volts by .25 (not surprising)
But the rest are as follows (shown in order with HWD) ....

DDR = 1.74 (set @ 1.80)
+3.3v = 3.20/3.23 @ IDLE
+5V = 4.92/4.95 @ IDLE
+12v = 11.74 @ IDLE
(highest but rare @ 11.80 ; but has dipped down to 11.64 :eek: )
VDDQ = 1.36 @ IDLE
VTT = 1.46 @ IDLE
Vbat = 3.28/3.30 @ IDLE
5Vsb = 4.99 @ IDLE

As you can see these voltages at an idle are pretty darn low .

Now , the funny thing is that this 2cd IC7 is MORE stable so far as compared to my first IC7 :confused:
( currently running @ 3450 1.55v)
Even though the 2cd board is only a few hours old , I have yet to get any RANDOM reboots like my first board even with these voltages being so low (including stress tests and hard gaming) .

Whats going on here ???

My question to you guys ....
Do you think I should RMA this board too .
The OC'ing part in me says yes .

I also think I received a EARLIER production model than even my first board (both purchased from Googlegear)

The serial number on my first board : IC7-C3F000253
The serial number on my 2cd board : IC7-C3E005733
(notice the letters "F" vs "E")

So , what would you guys do in this situation ?
RMA again and try another vendor (Newegg or Mwave)

This is ending up to be be a real pain .
The end cost for RMA'ing is costing me enough to where I could have gotten a "G" model .

Any thoughts on this would be super much apperciated ;)

HEEEEEELP ME please !!!

TIA .... stereo555

Last edited:
Here's the voltages on my IC7-G to compair with. It runs folding @ home 24/7. Rock stable. Temps mid 50s....I don't worry about the temps or voltages. PW supply is a antec 550 TP.

DDR = 2.69 (set @ 2.7)
+3.3v = 3.22 @ IDLE
+5V = 4.95 @ IDLE
+12v = 11.68-11.74 @ IDLE

VDDQ = 1.33 @ IDLE
VTT = 1.52 @ IDLE
Vbat = 3.26 @ IDLE
5Vsb = 4.97 @ IDLE

stereo555,

this is my rails with full lode:

vcore--1.63
vdimm-2.82
3.3v---3.28
5v-----5.00
12v---11.86~11.92

this is idle:
vcore--1.65
vdimm-2.85
3.3v---3.28~3.30
5v-----5.00
12v---11.88~11.92

btw, my vcore is 1.65 in bios

mica

Last edited:
Just for comparisons sake, I have an IS7 running off of a generic 350W PS that came with a cheap case from Newegg. The rails are at:

Vcore-->1.54V (1.6V setting)
VDIMM->2.75V to 2.78V (2.8V setting)
3.3V---->3.23V to 3.25V
5V------>5.03V
12V---->12.03V idle, drops to 11.86V in Prime95

These are pretty solid numbers. I've had some rock stable mobos that varied a lot more than this.

You guys are going to make me RMA my board again too :(

IDLE

Vcore--> 1.44v - 1.47v (1.5V setting)
VDIMM-> 2.64v to 2.67V (2.7V setting)
3.3V----> 3.23V to 3.25V
5V------> 4.92v to 4.95v
12V----> 11.8v idle, drops to 11.67v in Prime95

Mines a C3E00XXXXXXX

Back