• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to repair hole in condensor line?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrO bOiE

My friend needs help. His fridge has a hole in the evaporator. Since there is a hole in it, all the freon leaked out. He wants to know if there is any way to repair the whole and refill the system or will he have to replace the fridge.

Sorry, my old account had an..... unusual... turn for the worst, we'll live it at. Anyway, last night as i was doing the last thing before letting the sparks fly on my new cooling setup i pushed the evaporater a little farther down into the res, no more than a cm, but there was a huge hissing sound and it went away after a few minutes, slowly dimming in sound. The freon escaped, and now all i have is a computer, a athlon 1700+ clocked at 2.6ghz with no fridge to cool it, so that when it runs it immediately gets to 50* C because of my insane insulation keeping it cool (in this case hot), and a broken down fridge. Would it be cheaper to get it repaired (hole, and then filled with freon), to get the $50 fridge a few topics below, or what? I remember a while ago someone had their minifridge taken apart and put in a box-setup for sale for $50. If anyone knows his name id love to PM him with good news (for him atleast, *cries*).

Thanks for any help!

--Morgan--

its prolly gonna be upward of $100 if you call a repairman :rolleyes:

if the hole was not casued by rust, you should be able to solder it with regular plumbing solder since its on the evap.

if the gas was r134a, you can get that at an auto supply, if it was r-12/r-22 you will have to track down a replacment gas or get somone with a liscence to buy it.

a word of advice: do as much reading as you can on refridgeration before you try and fix it. its not as straight forward as it seems and can be very dangerous ;)

www.phase-change.com is a good place to start

So is there like a faq somewhere on how to fill it and repair the hole? Or do i need to find someone who has the tools? Who would that person/place be?

fixing the hole is a matter of a simple soldering job. re-charging the system requires a gauge manifold and the ability to secure the gas, as well as knowing wtf your doing, so you dont get hurt.

Back