• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit's official response to the HIGH Intel Mobo temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

Is the CPU temperature too high? Why is the CPU temperature of my ABIT motherboard higher than some other motherboard with the same chipset? (ABIT P4 mainboards)

The way CPU temperature measured in the BIOS or in the hardware monitor is through an I/O chip on the motherboard. That I/O chip probes a voltage given by the CPU thermal diode, and then BIOS / hardware monitor reads this value and uses some mathematical way to calculate the approximate temperature. According to Intel, there is another temperature sensing diode, which is responsible for the CPU overheating protection. When the CPU junction temperature reaches approximately 135 degrees Celsius (275 degrees F), the processor will turn down itself. That is, we can say the CPU is quite safe if it is less then 135 degrees Celsius (275 degrees F).

Since the temperature is “calculated”, not “measured”, the formula which the BIOS uses will make the outcome different. There is a parameter that is provided by the I/O chip vender, which we expect it to be the standard, so we use this parameter to calculate the temperature of the processor. Once this parameter in the BIOS is changed, the temperature shown in the BIOS PC health or in the hardware monitor tool will be altered. But, in the mean time, the actual temperature of the CPU is still the same. So the temperature you saw might be higher comparing to other motherboard with the same chipset, it is because we use the different parameter to calculate the temperature. We cannot say that we are more accurate, but we sure follow the standard provided by the I/O chip vender, and we believe it should be the proper one.

Based on the test in our lab with following conditions, the average CPU temperature in idle state is below 50 degrees C (122 degrees F); meanwhile; it is below 75 degrees C (167 degrees F) while heavy loading. The CPU temperature is affected by room temperature, chassis temperature, CPU fan and other heat source inside the chassis. If the reading is higher than our data, please consider doing some improvement for heat dissipation.

* Room temperature: 25 degrees C (77 degrees F)
* Chassis temperature: 35 degrees C (90 degrees F)
* A good chassis with two 12 CM system fans; one draws air into the chassis and the other exhausts hot air outside the chassis.
* A strong CPU fan

The "CPU Shutdown Temperature" in "PC Health Status" page could be enabled and set to 90 degrees C (194 degrees F). In case there are something wrong with the system like CPU fan stops or drops off from CPU retention unit, the ACPI compatible operation system could shut down itself to prevent the system crash and other damages. But, if the operation system fails to shut down, there still be a final insurance that CPU will turn itself down at 135 degrees C (275 degrees F) and the system will be powered off immediately.
--------------------------

So in other words they are not going to do a thing about it and Abit boards will ALWAYS read higher temps intel they choose to stop using those certain I/O Chips. Later Abit, new motherboard time.

i hate to say it, but what did you think was going to happen? its well known that abit reads highers temps, always has been.

CrazyP said:
i hate to say it, but what did you think was going to happen? its well known that abit reads highers temps, always has been.

Last week they promised a BIOS fix for all thier Intel based boards, this week they deleted that and told us to go F*** ourselves, and told us our CPU's are fine at 90c, lol.

Just not buying Abit anymore.

I'm pretty disappointed with them. First, they told us that they're gonna release a BIOS fix for all Intel motherboards. Now it's late week, and all they give us is some excuse. No BIOS, nothing. Just an excuse. Are they lazy to calibrate for different CPU steppings and all those motherboards?

But at least their motherboards perform well. They seriously need to change the I/O chip to another manufacturer. Screw Winbond on this. :rolleyes:

There are some Gigabyte boards which read temps right, and they are not using Winbond monitoring chips.

Abit Marketing:"Blah....I/O chip...Set temp shutdown to higher limit...If All else fails, processor will shut down system..... Intel Links"

translation: "It's a hardware problem. We bought a batch of bum monitoring chips, or we don't know how to get them to work correctly. Don't worry, temp monitoring is a gimmick anyway, your Intel P4 will immediately shut off your system when the threshold temp is reached. When was your last system backup?"

Lol!

Oh, wait, I have an IC7....

Yeah, Im in the market for a new P4 mobo now, cant stand this BE7 anymore (mine is getting worse over time)...the highest I can set the thermal shutdown temp at is 75c, and the board thinks its that hot during frag fests...but my compunurse never shows more then 42c Full Load.

Later Abit, nice boards but this little thing is going to cost you a customer.

I think I'm done buying abit boards. They've always been great boards for overclocking but a lot of other companies are getting better, and it gets a little frustrating not knowing my real temp.

Temp before water cooling 52-56C
Temp after water cooling 50-53C???

Well the only thing we can do to annoy Abit is RMA the hell out of them. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

nycundaground said:
Well the only thing we can do to annoy Abit is RMA the hell out of them. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

Yeah but then they send me out the same if not another problematic mobo with the same problem :mad:

chasingapple said:

Based on the test in our lab with following conditions, the average CPU temperature in idle state is below 50 degrees C (122 degrees F); meanwhile; it is below 75 degrees C (167 degrees F) while heavy loading. The CPU temperature is affected by room temperature, chassis temperature, CPU fan and other heat source inside the chassis. If the reading is higher than our data, please consider doing some improvement for heat dissipation.

I'm new to overclocking, so I don't realy know what good temperatures look like. From reading over the forums the past few days what I can gather is that safe temperatures are somewhere around 40C idle 50-55C load.

I just got an IC7 board and a P4 3.0 and running it with the stock hsf in a Coolmaster case with 4 case fans and an air duct for my proccessor I get Idle 43.5C and Load 56C. At first I thought I did something wrong so I reset the hsf 3 times all with the same exact temperatures. Does anyone know what P4 3.0 that isn't overclocked at all should have for temps??

I'm thinking the abit boards are off by a decent amount but I'm trying to figure out how much. It sounds like to me from this:
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/qa/2003/2003052801.htm
that I would be safe taking my load temperatures all the way up to 75C.

Anyone else agree with me there?

DumpALump said:
a lot of other companies are getting better

Intel newbie here.....
Like which other motherboards in the same price range as the IS7?
I haven't invested in the intels yet, I'm still researching.

I get 32/33 idle, 47/48 load. Cooled by a Volcano 7 and a 120mm sidepanel fan blowing down onto it.

I think my temps are at most 2 degrees out, relative to my old epox board.

I really don't mind all that much. Abit has proven the most reliable board for me over the years. I might give asus a shot, but so far, all 6 of my Abit boards(Possibly 7 once I finish up my Ai7 install) have performed perfectly and have even taking a good beating from my n00b overclocking days.

1. This has been argued in several threads before.
2. Abit claims they use the formula provided by the manufacturer of their I/O IC for the temperature, which should be right. Then you blame Abit, when the problem is with the I/O IC if something. Sure, they could replace one with the same as Asus, which reads CPU temp below case temp on start up, which is pure BS. The CPU is the fastest component to heat up during boot. Even if we have infinite cooling power of our heatsink, it shouldn't be below the case temp.
3. Just because Abit temps read higher than others, doesn't mean it's wrong. No one here has the slightest idea how hot it is inside a running CPU. I would rather blame Asus for reading low temps, which are obviously wrong.

I've stated this before, and I will stand by my opinion, and I'm glad Abit does too.

Back