• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shroud Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoingH2o

I just received my package from Dtek containing a Pro Chevette Core with Shroud

There are 4 threaded rods and 4 flying nuts with the shroud.
The fan goes on the outside thats ok I figured it out :p but what about attaching the shroud to the heatercore.

The threaded nuts are long enuff to fit to the other side of the RAD but I dont want to damage the RAD fins by enlarging them to make the threaded rod go to the other side

Any suggestions? :)

Pre-Assembled would need a bigger box to be shipped in.

The 2 items shroud & core come in different wrapping.

GoingH2o - That's exactly the way they mean for you to do it;
stuff those rods right thru the core fins & out the other side.

I agree, Yeccchh.

If you take a cheapo pen apart you have that little straw where the ink is, right? Use that to shpe the right fins so the rods go through easier.

I bought the same thing and had the same dilemma. It will work to simply push the threaded rods through the fins; you'll make a few metal shavings and have the general feeling that there-oughta-be-a-better-way.
What I finally did was go to the grocery store and buy a pack of long bamboo skewers. The diameter is about the same, they're pointed on one end, and they're much gentler on your fins.
I used them to get everything lined up and make pilot spaces through the fins, then pushed the rods through with a lot less trauma.

Thanks.
It's the same basic idea as your pen tube, but I was doing a push-pull setup and needed something longer.

Back