• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

11-13" tall heater core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
Does anyone know of a decent heater core 11-13" tall by 6-8" wide? I need this for a very special project. I have been looking at econoline cores but they are probably a little to short (9.6x6.25) for my needs. Any ideas?

I picked up a heater core the other day its for a 86 Chev Caprice w/o air and it is nice;)

Last edited:
Greywood, thanks for the link. Bender, why such size? Am playing around with some ideas on a quite cooling solution and among these are radiators. However I have a problem with radiators (and bad cooling experiences which precipitated my bong experiences which though I like, the misses does not). The following are not in any way facts, just thoughts. If high velocity (often related to volume as well) assists in the breakdown of the thermal layer in the water block then velocity would be a desirable. Now on a pretty good system we get 1.5g per minute. This however would appear to be substantially lower on a rad as the link above indicates a flow of .625 to .75. Through in the bends and relatively low pressures we are talking about and I suspect it is at least some if not alot lower. This would be a bottle nect and seem to serve the purpose of allowing cooling time at the expense of velocity through the waterblock. Net result would seem to indicate a higher core temp until equilibium is attained throughout the loop. Would not possibly lower flow rads of the .625 variety in muliples not better serve the purpose. The seperate heater cores would better serve volume though efficiency would be less due to the decrease in temp (typical of air cooled radiators) while more time would be spent in the radiator allowing for a lower temp while handling the same heat load of xxx watts. Seems like a couple of the camaro/firebird (93-01 pt # 2-683 rads at .625 would serve this purpose better. Split the lines both before and rejoin after the rads. In a box type setup this would allow for possible three rads with say a furnace type filter (cheap and easy to get) to be used to keep all clean. The real b...tch with rads is the relatively low temp of the water in relation to the air temp thus not giving us anywhere near ideal exchange. A single rad while lowering the temp better and increasing water cooling efficiency would seem to allow for higher core temps as well.

I wanted to use 2x 172mm Comair rotron Majors on a single core. I’m building the PC case from the ground up so size is flexible until the case is built. 2 smaller chevette cores in parallel might also work but they take up even more room than a single 12". I like the idea of 2 cores simply because it halves the flow rate through each, giving the water more time to sit and cool. Everything is still up in the air. If I can’t find a somewhat inexpensive solution I'll stick with an econoline core for under $20.

I think I may take a run by a junk yard and see if a couple of the camaro rads can be had on the cheap. Problem is building a box. Easiest part for some but a little bit of a pain for me. Take Care and keep us posted. Am interested in results.

Back