• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Vdimm MOD P4C800 and P4P800 DELUXE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZN

AznSniper
How to Vdimm mod P4C800 Deluxe

WARNING!!! THIS MOD WILL VOID WARRANTY AND IF NOT CAREFUL U CAN VERY EASILY DAMAGE YOUR MOTHERBOARD. mod at your OWN risk

Tools needed:

1,SMD grabber or soldering iron with fine tip and solder
2, POT (potentiometer) aka VR (variable regulator) 50k ohm or 100k is fine. 25k is to sensitive.
3, thin wire (a solid wire like a solid Cat5 wire will work) you shouldn’t use many small strands, u should try and find a nice thin but thick enough to stand the heat of the solder
4, DMM (digital multimeter)
5, Electric tape
6, wire cutters
7, screw driver (Philips or flat depending on ur POT)

all of these parts can be bought at any electronics store like radio shack, frys, norvac and so on.

Other tools which help are magnify glass, tweezers or pliers, and another set of hands.

I used a 47k ohm POT cuzz i couldn’t find a 50k.

Take the middle pin of the POT and use your red lead off your DMM and set it to read ohms then take the black lead and put it to either of the remaining 2 pins off the pot and set it to maximum your pot will go which mine was 47k ohms. the reason for this is when u put it on the board it will have highest resistance, cuzz higher=less voltage and lower-higher voltage and we don’t want ur board to have to much voltage when we put the pot on.
Once u got it to max resistance mark which 2nd lead u used off the pot cuzz u will have to use that same lead when attaching it to the board.
at this point I soldered the wire to the pot on center then the end I measured from. Now that the POT has wires that i can attach to the board its time to prep the board.
I removed my MB for better angle cuzz trying to solder in a case is dam hard. if u are using grabbers its simple as pie. once the board was out i removed the ram sticks just incase to much voltage went to the ram, I also unplugged the speaker so I wouldn’t hear that continuous annoying beep.
Set bios to 2.55v for ram then shut down.
This is the part where u use the DMM. set to read DC voltage, take your red line off ur dmm and set it to the south lead off the vmem reader (see pic) and ur black wire will go to any ground on the motherboard, I used the screw mounts.
Boot up and check to make sure it reads 2.55v
this is where another person comes in handy, like to hold ur magnify glass and wire or your beer. Now solder the center lead from the POT to pin 6 on the LM358 chip (see pic) then solder ur 2nd lead off the pot that u have marked to pin 4 which is a ground or just do what i did and wrap the ground wire around a MB mount screw.
now turn board on WITHOUT!!! the ram in the board. check voltage with DMM. turn the adjusting knob with a screwdriver very very very slowly and check voltage readings. u will find that it only takes 10 degree turn to make a change. set it however u wish but write down your voltage so u don’t forget what it really is. example. when I set my bios to 2.55v its actually going to be 2.8v, 2.65v = 2.9v, 2.75v = 3v and so on. Be careful with voltage, I would not use more then 3.1v maybe 3.2 tops but that’s me. I would try 2.9v for ram to start off with. I ended up using 3.09v
now that u have the voltage set use your electric tape to wrap up the POT so it doesn’t get in contact with anything especially your metal case. DONT use anything but electric tape cuzz some other tape will conduct a small amount of electricity and will throw off your voltage. after u have it all taped up i would check voltage once again for safe measure.

now u assemble your system and boot up with more ram voltage. I always check after i completely assemble my system cuzz u never know if adding the VC and ram and what not might change the voltage slightly. most likely it wont but it never hurts to check when u have it all together. I would also check to make sure your settings work the way u think they will. try setting it to 2.65v in bios and check voltage to make sure it does what u want and go through all the ram settings just to be sure.

congrats, u have just did a Vdimm mod and now u will be owning in benchmarks.

tools.jpg

pot.jpg

dmm.jpg

vdimm.jpg

board.jpg

smd.jpg

Last edited:

Just added diagram for P4P800. this pic is for the Deluxe version but im sure the none deluxe isnt much diff. The pin for the mod is on the right side 2nd from the bottom if the board were standing up right. i think i may have showed the wrong reading chip for the voltage. if u dont get readings there it would be the one directly under the b1 dimm slot or the 3rd from the left.

p4p800.jpg

now your memory will look like this :)

2400.jpg

ddr480.jpg

Last edited:
Nomjr said:
Thanks for the how to AZN. Off to the shack...
I bought my smd grabbers at outpost.com. They are like 2 for $3.99 + shipping. Radio Shack's smd grabbers wont work.

one of the best guides I've seen on the topic.

well detailed instructions, lots of pics and even showed what tools you'll need.

everyone give a big :clap: to AZN.
(you make it look way too easy.)

mica

jg.jpg

Jojo1971's mod

Last edited:
hmmm, while I've always been too chicken to take a soldering iron to any of my motherboards, I have always enjoyed reading neat tutorials like this one.

thanks. :)

for the people that cant solder u can use SMD grabbers.

AZN said:
for the people that cant solder u can use SMD grabbers.

AZN

First off great guide!

Now onto the SMD Grabbers, I went to outpost.com and tried to order the same set of SMD Grabbers that BigNuttz ordered. Unfortunately they are out of stock, seems BN got the last set, anyway do you know of any other online resellers that have the SMD Grabbers in stock right now?

Thanks again for a great guide!

AZN,

Thanks for the heads up on the SMD Grabbers. Everyone of the sites I found on Google that has them also has a 50.00 minimum order policy. So I guess its time to take my motherboard out of my case and get to soldering. Again appreciate the guide been looking for a vdimm mod for the P4C800-D for quite some time now.

D&C

AZN

Question, before I start soldering this evening I need to know if 16 gauge copper wire is to thick? I've got several rolls of wire here, 16G being the thinest of the lot. Will this work or should I go find some stranded silver wire, 10 to 12 gauge or? What do you suggest?

D&C

16 is to thick. u want a very thin solid wire like in a cat5 wire. if u can get the 16g to work then cool but i would try and find a thinner wire. use a magnifly glass to make sure u dont have the solder touching any other leads. GL and becareful not to F up the board.

Back