• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 above 275mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musk

Can someone help me out with getting over 275mhz. I have tested the chip and ram individually and know they are capable (corsair 3200ll 3:2 - 2.4c)

Is there a trick?
Is it the chipset?
Northbridge cooling?

I read an article somewhere about a 2.4c at 3.8-3.9Ghz on air and think the board was an IC7-g.

I have also read about bunk IC7's in this forum.

Any suggestions

[email protected]

Try using the 3:2 mem ratio. Sometimes it's tough to get a high overclock with dual channel DDR. You're not the only one that has hit that 275 FSB "wall". But then, other people have no problem going up to 300 FSB with the IC7.

the stock Northbridge cooler on the IC7 is a joke.

while the fan itself is pushing a decent amount of air, the actual heatsink itself is too small thus having very little actual cooling surface.

that being that, I changed my NB cooler to the one in the pic and I have noticed more stability in my system. the cooler itself was very cheap ($10 @ Comp USA) and took me all of 30 minutes to put it on. I just had to grind off the four corners of the cooler so it could be attached with the chrome ring.

case4.jpg

ozziegn said:
the stock Northbridge cooler on the IC7 is a joke.

while the fan itself is pushing a decent amount of air, the actual heatsink itself is too small thus having very little actual cooling surface.

that being that, I changed my NB cooler to the one in the pic and I have noticed more stability in my system. the cooler itself was very cheap ($10 @ Comp USA) and took me all of 30 minutes to put it on. I just had to grind off the four corners of the cooler so it could be attached with the chrome ring.

Not bad! Where did you get the northbridge cooler from?

Thanks for the feedback

I will definately try a cooler. I did assume with the air flow that it was cooling well but I will give it a new look and see what happens.

This did help an aweful lot with my Epox 8RDA+

musk

BTW ozziegn what is your memory at. 3:2 6222?

Ozzie did u bring your computer case to a professional picture studio because the lighting on your picture is fantastic. I have a question, I think if we had a fan on the northbridge pulling air away from the little heatsink, it would be cooler then pushing air through the fins. Because if u push the air inwards u are only sucking in the hot air that is coming from the videocard sinks.

Re: Thanks for the feedback

musk said:
BTW ozziegn what is your memory at. 3:2 6222?

my memoy timings (if thats what you're asking) are 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 6 at the present time.

as for the lighting in my pic, I did that myself.

I have a Sony F707 (5 mega-pixel) camera and I also have the external Sony flash that I always use when taking pics of my computer hardware.

I always use the flash as a "bounce" lighting alternative because as you all know, using direct flash can (and most often does) wash out the pic too much.

flashing the lighting off the ceiling gives perfect results 99% of the time.

now my system is easily running 300FSB on my IC7.

CPU_speed_latest.jpg

this chip just keeps getting better and better as time goes on.

ozz... i have to say that is the nicest machine i have ever seen. Looking at your oc with using only 3200, your sweet hd's (drooling), and that great looking lighting... fantastic!

oh btw what cooler did you put on your 9700. I think i am going to put a vantec aerocool on my 9500 modded to 9700 and a stock amd on my ti4200.

Re: ...

gouda96 said:
ozz... i have to say that is the nicest machine i have ever seen. Looking at your oc with using only 3200, your sweet hd's (drooling), and that great looking lighting... fantastic!

oh btw what cooler did you put on your 9700. I think i am going to put a vantec aerocool on my 9500 modded to 9700 and a stock amd on my ti4200.

thanks for the kind words bub.

as for my 9700 Pro's cooler; its nothing more than a $5 AMD K6-2 cooler that I picked up at a local computer shop.

I think I hit the wall as welll... at 275FSB I can run dual prime for 8+ hours, but at 278 it fails memtest86 after a few mins. What should I try? Relaxing mem timings and raising VCore to 1.575 didn't seem to help. Can we give these 2.4Cs 1.6+ Volts? How about SNDS with these chips?

Thanks...also, is that really a feature on some of the new P4s that it need some time to burn in and it will go higher and higher as it ages? I remember something that in the first hours I couldn't run my CPU at 3300MHz because it failed memtest, and one day later (and after disabling onboard sound - or can it be the difference?) it runs stable (see sig).

CPU burn in is a much debated topic, some swear by it, others discard is as myth. If you feel it has worked for you & believe it's fact, then great, but I'm not sure if anyone has proven it to work or not. :D The reason for your increased O/C may possibly be that the HS compound usually takes a day or 2 to set up properly & that is likely why your O/C went up a bit after the initial attempts.

yeah I know these things about the "burn-in" and the thermal compound. Another thing is, that I remember on the first day the PC sometimes froze during starting appliacations, and that was only 250FSB 1.55V and relaxed mem timings. Another guy in some nearby topic mentioned that his 2.4C now does 3.6, but when he bought it he couldn't get it stable beyond 3.4....

Back