• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

testing unknown pump power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ws6fire

Registered
This is the first setup I'm building and I've just aquired a 12v pump that looks like it should be good, it's a heater core pump for a jag.

Is there a good way to test this thing to see if it's any good?

I've pluged it into a 87amp psu (not the one I'll be using) and it works but when I stuck it in my sink during lunch today the water doesn't fly out like I thought it would. (5v=trickle 12v=flow) it kinda just flows though the 1/2 barbs like when you pour a Mountain Dew or milk. Is that normal? I didn't have any hose to soo if it has any power to "push" the water up a few feet or not.

Thanks for your input!

That doesn't sound like too strong of a pump, but in order to test it you'd need a flowmeter. Flowmeters are generally expensive. So it'd be cheaper for you to just go and try and find a Maxijet 1200. I remember getting mine for about $20 which is a fraction of what my flowmeter cost.

Back