• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could this system layout cause high temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strokeside

I had originally planned to have a system with:
2 x radiators, 4 x 120mm fans, 2 x pumps, a CPU, NB and HDD WB, but due to space constraints, I have had to rethink my setup.
So now I have this planned:
1 x Rad, 2 x fans, 2 x pumps, a CPU, NB and HDD WB, which will fit.
Link number 3 on this page shows the flow pattern for my proposed setup.
Link number 3 on this page
If you can't access it, the setup is :

pump1->Rad->CPUWB->res->pump1
pump2->NBWB->HDDWB->res->pump2

Now both pumps draw from the same res, and seeing as pump2 will have less then half the flow of pump1, pump1 will move enough of the warm water coming from the pump2 loop into the rad, to keep the overall temps of the water in the system down.
Basically loop2 doesn't have a rad, and is relying on the water from loop2 to mix with the water from loop1 in the res, and then some of the loop2 water should get sucked into the rad too, which will keep it cool.

Anyone tried this/is using this?
Any pitfalls to watch out for?

A lot of creative thinking going on around here lately :)

As far as your idea:

Your temps will be higher than they could be with your setup, but it seems as though your design is trying to maximize space without too much of a performance compromise.

I haven't heard or seen anyone trying something quite like this yet so all I have is educated guesswork to go on here, but I think it's a great idea to try!

Experimentation is one of the most enjoyable parts of ocing/watercooling/modding IMAO, so I hope you will try this- or that someone will!

I would say, just get a more powerful pump, and pump it all in a single direction.

Also get rid of the reservoir, and get a bigger radiator :D

I'd like to see the results. I think that a good rad or heatercore cooled efficiently would be sufficient to remove the heat. IMO the biggest variable you'll need to consider is how well the two "water loops" are mixed in the resevoir. You should be able to help this with the placement of your inlet/outlet barbs for the res.

What i think i would do with the equipment you have, is to place both pumps feeding into the rad through two lines split into one large line, and split the line out from the rad to the two cooling loops. so you'd have

Pump/Rad/Cpu/res <optional
Pump/Rad/NB/HDD/res <also optional.

i don't use a res myself, just a t-line and shutoff valve. With that setup ^^ i probably would, to assist filling and airbleeding complications you may have from running two pumps together.

let us know what you come up with!

J.

Wrong rogerdugans. ***GOOD*** Experimentation is what makes the hobby great. Thankfully, this can classify! <g>

Go for it strokeside. I think you'll be fine with 1 radiator... I can't see a hard drive and NB hurting your temps *that* much...

I do think you should think about getting a small radiator for the HD... You could easily cool that with say one of the old bent tube one's with fins people use to slap on the BACK of their computers way back in the day.

That' IMHO would be the best option. You wouldn't sacriface any space.

Hell with that being said you could easily enoguh do it with just one of the bigger pumps...

Pump-CPU-HC-NB-HD-radiator

Sounds simple enough... It'd definatly reduce the amounts of moving parts, along with making damn well sure you have enough cooling for the NB and HD...

Duh, you can dissipate those amounts of heat with a strong will and the palm of your hand LoL!

May I ask what HD are you needing to cool?

If you have the room for two loops and you're doing all that... You could easily just as well go
CPU-NB in one loop and GPU-HD in another!

Just a thoguht ;)

Back