• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think? AC Unit for chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
teh compressor and condensor will definitly work. 5000 BTU is pretty buffed ;) . you will probably have to make your own evaporator and maybe a couple other small mods before you recharge it though. too bad it doesnt say what kinda gas it uses :rolleyes:

surlyjoe said:
teh compressor and condensor will definitly work. 5000 BTU is pretty buffed ;) . you will probably have to make your own evaporator and maybe a couple other small mods before you recharge it though. too bad it doesnt say what kinda gas it uses :rolleyes:

Why would I have to recharge it? Will I end up doing something when I take everything out of the AC to require it? Or is it just to put better gas in there?

the evaprator for an A/C unit is not gonna work all that great if you dunk it in water as it was designed to cool air, which doesnt load the system like water does. dont get me wrong, it will prolly work, just not as efficiently as using an evaporator designed for water.

some gases you gan buy over the counter, others require a license :rolleyes:

The evaporator is great for chilling water, in fact it would be better than an average waterchiller evap of coiled copper pipe.Most old a/c systems that run on r22 get about -20c liquid temps after only dropping the evap in the res.
By the way remember that the btu rating is for a heatload of 5000btu at an evap temp of up to 50f.

if its a capillary tube stystem, like most are, for sure the cap tube will be short. and usually they are aluminum fin on copper tube evaporators, dissimilar metals dont do well in water cooling systems. also the efficiency of the unit may suffer causing you to run it more than nessecary.

I gonna get it so I'll see what it can do when the time comes. Hopefully it will just work "as is". If not I will tear into it.

surlyjoe said:
if its a capillary tube stystem, like most are, for sure the cap tube will be short. and usually they are aluminum fin on copper tube evaporators, dissimilar metals dont do well in water cooling systems. also the efficiency of the unit may suffer causing you to run it more than nessecary.

Yes, but we weren't talking about capillary, only evaporators. ;)
I haven't had any problems with the battery effect with aluminum fins.

I am not sure what you mean by saying the efficiency of the unit may suffer?Unless your talking about leaving it like it is with the improperly sized capillary.

aenigma said:

I am not sure what you mean by saying the efficiency of the unit may suffer?Unless your talking about leaving it like it is with the improperly sized capillary.

thats exactly what I meant ;)

surlyjoe said:

thats exactly what I meant ;)

Ah okay gotcha. :)
Yeah the capillary is definately oversized.But I am also thinking this system may be R134a.It still may get -20c like it is though.

Also if you do want to do only a little bit of work(and your ordering not buying from a store) I would get something like this copeland condensing unit: http://www.youngssurplus.com/HVAC.htm
But I am sure shipping is probably up around 50 dollars.

The window a/c unit would be cheaper just not as small and compact (doesnt mean anything unless you like everything tidy).
You can do a few small changes with a window a/c unit and recharge it and get -40c liquid temps easy.

If I remember right I replaced the evap on one I had and nothing else, recharged it using the same oversized capillary and got -40c.It would have been much better if I replaced the capillary, but that was way back in the day when i just threw crap I had laying around together. :D
Ah, good times. :)

aenigma said:

Ah okay gotcha. :)
Yeah the capillary is definately oversized.But I am also thinking this system may be R134a.It still may get -20c like it is though.

Also if you do want to do only a little bit of work(and your ordering not buying from a store) I would get something like this copeland condensing unit: http://www.youngssurplus.com/HVAC.htm
But I am sure shipping is probably up around 50 dollars.

The window a/c unit would be cheaper just not as small and compact (doesnt mean anything unless you like everything tidy).
You can do a few small changes with a window a/c unit and recharge it and get -40c liquid temps easy.

If I remember right I replaced the evap on one I had and nothing else, recharged it using the same oversized capillary and got -40c.It would have been much better if I replaced the capillary, but that was way back in the day when i just threw crap I had laying around together. :D
Ah, good times. :)

**** man that unit is NICE! I do like "tidy". Should I get that instead? How loud and cold would that be?

Just a question, on this or other air conditioning units, I have an air cooling setup, but was thinking about trying to mod my case with an A/C setup. either finding some way to attach that to the side of my case pumping cool air inside, or by creating a duct that delivered the cold air from the A/C unit to my intake fans on the front of my case.

The one thing I'm worried about, would pumping really cold air into my case be a bad idea because of the posibility of condensation?

na, the A/C unit dries the air by design, thus the need for an evaporator drain, and since everything in the case will be colder than the chips, it will not condensate unless you open the case when its still cold inside :rolleyes:

Back