• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thanks Bob4burton for the IC7-G Northbridge MOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nycundaground

i would liek to say thank you and give credit to bob4burton for this mod he showed us. I am able to get to 4.08 ghz on my ic7-g with a 3.0c. I just added the fan on top, and it sticks there by itself no glue or anything. So thanks again bob4burton for the nice mod.

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

:beer:

I think its the Zalman northbridge cooler here This looks like a very sweet mod.

Hey nyc, what was your oc before the mod? Did this help you get to 4 gig or did you already get therer befroe the mod?

I am thinking really hard about getting a 3.0c so I can shoot for 4gig myself. My vapo PE should get me there easy enough...I just need a decent chip.

Wow , I saw the original post of this mod , but not with the fan on it .

Nice work .

Think I'll grab me one . ;) :D

stereo555

Yea i definetely helped me with a boost of 1.5 ghz. I use to be stoned at 3.8 ghz or so and then when i did this mod, i got to 4.08ghz stable. Using 1.725 vcore. 5:4 divider. Yea its a Zalman NB heatsink and u just cut of a 3 of the fins off each side, and u will be able to fit it in the silver ring. I used the dremel to cut off the fins.

My next mod is goin to be modding a SLK-900U onto the nortbridge. It can be done because i have planned and measured everything already. Im goin to use the same ring to mount it on. ANd ill add a 120mm on it to see how far i can go. What tools would u guys recommend to cut solid copper?

nycundaground said:
i would liek to say thank you and give credit to bob4burton for this mod he showed us. I am able to get to 4.08 ghz on my ic7-g with a 3.0c. I just added the fan on top, and it sticks there by itself no glue or anything. So thanks again bob4burton for the nice mod.

:beer:

real nice. :clap:

mica

yup, its indeed a worthwhile mod. I also did mine (last weekend) with perfect results.

case3.jpg

Last edited:
how many pins or fins do i have to cut when modding the zalman to fit on the northbridge?

is the zalman big enough to cool without the active fan?

just cut three pins on each corner of the Zalman cooler.

but do NOT cut the corner of the base of the cooler otherwise the chrome ring wont have any way of holding the cooler in place. just cut the three pins on each corner.

also, the Zalman cooler doesnt need to have a fan on it to do it's deal. that is providing you have pretty good airflow within your case. then again, I cant what it would hurt to have a fan anyways on the cooler. after all, the cooler the better, right?

Cool Mod!
Can someone link to the original mod psting, or tell me where to get the ring and the hooks to attach it to the MoBo?

Thanks,

Patrick

pvanosta said:
Cool Mod!
Can someone link to the original mod psting, or tell me where to get the ring and the hooks to attach it to the MoBo?

Thanks,

Patrick

You allready have the"ring & hooks" They are both on the stock Northbridge heatsink & fan of your mobo. You're siggy says you have a IC7-G...if thats true then you got em!

I ran out of Arctic Silver epoxy when I was modding my vid card, so might as well buy some more and order a couple of those cool little heatsinks to do my northbridge mods too (plus I need a couple more case fans).

If you're going to do this mod, why not use the fan too? This is great and it looks sweet too. I knew that northbridge cooling was important for high FSB, but I didn't think people would get that much better results. Just the thing to go along with my new watercooling system.

pvanosta said:
Thanks Krag,
Just goes to show how closely I looked at the chipset cooler...

DUH !!:rolleyes:

Heh! Yep you've just had what batboy would call a senior moment. ha ha;) Appaerently from his rank...he has alot of them. ;)

How high does your 1GB of OCZ PC-3500 go nycundaground? and is it EL RAM?

(I'm contemplating between 1GB of OCZ PC-3500EL or TwinMOS PC-3700 :eek: )

I was able to do 270fsb 1.7v at a 5:4 divider. Any higher it does not post. Im goin with 2x256mb Twinmos Pc3700. They look very good at relaxed timings.

Zalman NB heatsink found here for $4.75. Looks like it comes with all parts and thermal proxy, I'm gonna get one, my IC7 NB fan starts making grinding noise momentarily on bootup. This is pretty good place to buy mod stuffs, I bought several fans and SLK800U from them, nice guys, highly recommended.
http://www.svc.com/zazmnobrhe.html

Back