• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you get when you cross a water cooler with a heater core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extremly cool

Registered
Well this is what my rig consists of a water cooler a heater core and a fluval 103 and a piece of pcv and renforced rubber hose and also all the fittings are brass
Also the heater core is not air cooled but get this water cooled and the water is chilled by a compressor and a cold sleeve around the heater core

the block is a danger den maze 3

now what do you thing good or bad idea
need info

Last edited:
No point for the heatercore...

Everything is equalibriums... Everything tries to equal itself out...

If you have a good water chiller and you stick the cold water going throguh a radiator. The radiator will heat up the liquid because the water is under ambient air temp...

Anytime you stick a radiator on something, it tries it's little heart out to make anything going throguh it the same temp as whatever's surrounding the radiator... Which in our case would be air.

no man i have a sparkling spings water cooler with a compressor on the bottom of it and where you put the water bottle I put a car heater core submerged in water that is cooled by a compressor

Well it's obvious to tell where I got turned around LoL!

Why ask here? Ask on the Extreme forum or here... No point in double posts LoL!

My question would be if it has a powerful enough compressor to do anything useful.

the compressor is good for keeping water very cold but it wont freeze water

but what i was thinking of doing was to have the water around the heater core absorbe the heat from the core kinda like a reverse waterblock
hence having the compersessor do all the work of cooling the water

and no fans to bug me

extremly cool said:
the compressor is good for keeping water very cold but it wont freeze water

...which probably means that it won't be powerful enough, then again, it could be controlled by a thermostat.

I know someone who did what you're saying, but without the heatercore. Just used the water-chiller as a reservoir.

The water typically stayed at about 5C below room temperature for him provided he didn't overclock too hard.

Water-chillers like you're talking about are designed to cool small amounts of water down to 4-5C given that the water isn't being heated up by something else.

A hot CPU and pump water-cooling loop can be dumping up to and over 100W of heat into the water, which is enough to heat up a 250ml cup of water by 1C about every 10 seconds. That's a heat load that the chiller really wasn't designed to be working against.

It may work, it may work well, or it may be about as effective as a heater-core by itself anyway, or it may be worse.

As Toysrme is saying, it depends on how powerful the compressor is.

FWIW...

What you're doing is called: using a heatercore as a heat exchanger.

Refer to above posts by Cathar otherwise.

Put both the rad and the chiller in the same loop (water going through both).

go pump>rad>chiller> (waterblocks)>back to pump

Don't have a fan on the rad or have a very low RPM fan on it so it produces no noise.

The rad will radiate some or most of the heat and the chiller would take care of the rest. That way, they chiller isn't trying to do all the work and it would keep the water cooler.

Back