• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My propose diagrams for 1st watercooling project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J.A.

I'm about to venture into my first watercooling project and for the last couple of days I've read countless articles on the subject, but I'm sure I'm still a bit green.

Anyway, I want to watercool my CPU and GPU in my full-tower (server size) case and have devised the following diagrams on how to put it all together.

Any input on which diagram I should go with will be appreciated, and if there are flaws or errors, please point them out.

Common feature of all the diagrams is that that since I have a full-tower case (I have room above the Power Supply Unit), I want to put the radiator/heatercore on top. Will this hinder performance?

On to the diagrams:

Diagram 1
Reservoir-->Pump-->Radiator-->CPU-->GPU-->Reservoir

Diagram 1a
Same as 1, but uses Y splitters on the CPU and GPU

Diagram 2
Reservoir-->Pump-->CPU-->GPU-->Radiator-->Reservoir

Diagram 2a
Same as 2, but with Y splitters.

EDIT:
hmm...wonder why clicking on the link does not work on this forum (it automatically brought me back to the message). Anyway, if you want to see the diagrams (and clicking on the above links doesn't work), you can always copy and paste the following URLs:

www.freewebs.com/just_another/wc/Diagram1.gif
www.freewebs.com/just_another/wc/Diagram1a.gif
www.freewebs.com/just_another/wc/Diagram2.gif
www.freewebs.com/just_another/wc/Diagram2a.gif

Last edited:
I have not watercooled multiple components yet, so I have no personal experience to share as far as which plan is better, yet I'll comment anyway ;)

I would go with plan 1 IF your GPU block is as free flowing as your water block- same size barbs, big channels and low restriction.

I would go with plan 1a if the GPU block (as it probably is) looks like it will restrict flow more than the cpu block.

My experience has shown that having the radiator immediately before the heatsource gives the best results, so I would lean against either plan 2.

However: results vary so if you can try all of the above before deciding which is the final solution :)

My other comment is the placement of the radiator above the psu- not a bad idea at all but there is one potential problem: that is often an area where heat gathers and gets "stuck" so you may be using some of the hottest air in your case to cool your system!!!!

A couple ways around that exist, but I think the best would be to duct a top intake to the radiator. It won't help case cooling per se but should give you excellent water temps.

Im also very new at this but I believe you would want the radiator as low as possible to pick up the coolest air available in the case or use ducting. But the power supply creates a lot of heat and even with ducting not a very good spot for it. also leak considerations. maybe bottom front of case would be better just renmove the hd cage assembly etc... and relocate the hd up higher. Also if it springs a leak it would drip onto the bottom part of the case. If you look at pictures of other peoples setups here in the forum you will notice most rads on the bottom front or rear part of the case.

Back